chapter six

It was six fifty-eight am when Lexi crawled back into our dorm. It was six fifty-eight am when I was woken up by my best friend's laughter. It was six fifty-eight am when I realised I'd only had two and a half hours sleep because I was wondering who the mysterious man in my bathroom was.

Various ideas had played through my head, one of them being that he was, in fact, a figment of my imagination. I must have somehow escaped from Nate and created this mysterious character that saved me.

Then I decided he was a ghost, but I remembered how real he felt when my lips had melted into the dimple on his cheek and I just knew that it was impossible.

There was no way I'd ever find him again. I'd never seen him in any of my classes, nor seen him around the school before. Although, he did dress in a way that would go unnoticed. A black tee, black ripped jeans, black boots...

Wait.

No, no, no.

It can't be.

There was no reasonable explanation as to why I'd never seen him before. There was no reasonable explanation as to why he was hanging around in the corridors late after class. There was no reasonable explanation as to why he was wearing nothing but dark clothing and a devilish smirk.

Unless of course, he was a bad boy.

And it was at six fifty-eight am that I discovered that this amazing, wonderful boy that was so so good to me the night before, was so so bad for my heart.

My wild thoughts were interrupted by two oversized, hairy old man arms slamming against my desk.

"What is the answer, Miss Whethers?"

Looking around the room, reality smacked me in the face. It was my teacher, Mr. Vladovich and I had day-dreamed through half of his lesson.

"Uh-" I started, but he sighed and walked back to his desk.

"You were not listening, Mae. Again." he stated, as everyone else in the room shuffled awkwardly. He wasn't the best person to annoy in terms of teachers. He was one of the few that actually did their job and ensured that everyone learnt something.

"I was! I- I just didn't understand the question." Attempting to help myself out of the hole I'd landed in, I tried to come up with a reasonable excuse as to why I couldn't reply.

"You can't understand when I asked how your week was?" he smirked, everyone else starting to chuckle and whisper behind me.

"Okay, so I wasn't listening." I admitted, defeated. "It's been pretty crappy actually." I said, resting my head down against the desk.

"Well it's about to get a whole lot worse." he laughed. "You can day-dream all you wish in detention tonight."

The class began to gasp and the snickering from them consumed me. It wasn't anything new, I was often getting detentions left, right and centre but there was something about Friday detentions that really pissed me off.

"Thanks a lot, sir." I muttered, before burying my head into my arms and falling asleep with a sigh.

"You'll never guess what!" Lexi screamed as she met me in the hallway after first period with a face like thunder.

"What?" I asked feebly whilst I stretched into a yawn.

"On second thoughts, that can wait. What's up girl?" she wondered, hugging me tightly.

"I just got handed a detention by Vladovich, again." I responded, rolling my eyes as Lexi laughed.

"Again? This is the third one this week." she said, stepping back and folding her arms against her favourite band printed hoodie.

"Yep. I think they know me personally by now." I laughed, trying to make light of a shitty situation. "So, tell me. What's your news?"

Biting her lip, she looked around before stepping a little closer and whispering. "Okay. So. You're probably going to be mad but I've got to tell you this." she started and at that point, I just knew I'd be mad.

"Nate was seen... kissing... Hanna." she explained, extremely slowly as if she was scared I'd flip out at her.

"Wow." I scoffed, a little hurt by the news. Nate wasn't important to me, like I said, and Hanna was a whole mess - but the fact that they were so openly displaying their affair made me feel a little sick. Nate was so against the idea of showing me off to everyone, as if I was simply a toy for him to play with when nightfall crawled along and it was in that moment that I knew Hanna was the other person. I had my doubts on her, Lexi and I had called it from day one - I just never had any proof.

"Look, I know you're probably stinging a little... but this is for the best, okay?" Lexi tried, and I knew she meant well.

"You're right. I'm just going to miss Yaz, that's all." I sighed. I was worried about her health, knowing that we had to avoid Hanna - and everywhere that Hanna went, Yaz was sure to go.

"Yeah, I feel a little sick admitting this but, same. Yaz was beginning to grow on me." Lexi admitted, resting an arm on my shoulder.

"Never mind." I shrugged, leaning into her. "It's just the two of us."

"We can make it if we tryyy-" Lexi sang, before I nudged her disapprovingly. "Ouch!"

"Catch me if you can!" I announced before rushing off down the hallway. I could hear Lexi's sandals slapping against the marbled flooring as a teacher yelled after us to slow down.

Like I said, I was the sassy one and being a little shit came as a BOGOF deal.

The day flew past and before I knew it, it was time to be bored to death in a room full of badly behaved kids.

Saying my goodbyes to my lucky friend, Lexi, I burst into the detention room with a proud face. I found out early on that by walking in looking sad or irritated, it only left you to be picked or sneered at and so I made sure to look pleased with myself. Well, I guess I was, because I literally didn't have to do anything to earn my ticket to hell.

But then I saw it, and I realised that I wasn't proud of myself at all because the tall, mysterious bad-boy with strong toffee eyes that had once saved me the night before was now casually slumped in my favourite spot and there was no way that either of us could run away from each other this time.

written by patreece / 31

written by patreece / 31.05.18

if you enjoyed this part, feel free to tap the vote button!