chapter thirteen

"Where am I?" I asked myself aloud, voice croaking just enough to be heard.

Pulling myself up, I was greeted with the comfort of four familiar dorm walls - I was home. But how I got there remained a mystery.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel the slightest bit uncomfortable about the whole ordeal.

And then it hit me, the drinking, the bar, the guy who stopped me from falling. Who was he? Did he bring me home?

"Oh, you're awake!" beamed Lexi, walking out of the bathroom fully dressed. Her hair was pulled up into a messy bun and her jeans hugged her effortlessly. It was then I realised that today was Tuesday and I was screwed.

"What time is it?" I asked, sitting up and pulling my arm to my forehead; shielding my eyes from the beams of sunlight that trickled through the gaps in the curtains.

"Don't worry, you've got at least half an hour." yawned Lexi, before smirking.

"Half a- what?! Lexi why didn't you wake me?!" I screamed, jumping up and rummaging through a pile of clothing next to my bed like my life depended on it.

"You looked rough as hell when I woke up, plus, I didn't really want to be murdered." she replied, rolling her eyes. "You look tired. What time did you even get in? You should rest up today."

"No. I can't." I sighed, pulling my leg through my shorts. "I've already had a few days off and I just know today will be the day I get in trouble. And... I don't know when I got in, my head is still spinning. I don't remember much."

"Real classy Mae. Do you want me to wait for you?" she asked with a smile, pushing her hands into her hoodie pockets.

Pulling a jumper over my head, I mumbled a yes before running into the bathroom to wash away the makeup from the night before. I cursed my past self for being too drunk to wipe it off, but then again, I was too drunk to even know how I got home which was why I decided not to pull Lexi up on the "classy" comment. She was right, last night I was completely classless - which was the thing I was going for when I'd decided to ditch school.

Fifteen minutes later,  we left and I prayed to the good skies above that I didn't look or act as hungover as I truly was.

"Miss Whethers!" snapped a voice, before my eyes opened and I realised I'd been sleeping in class. Whipping my head up, a few chuckles could be heard around the class before they were silenced by a deathly stare from them to me. "Do I bore you, child? Do I tire you?"

"No." I replied, looking up at Mr. Vladovich with squinted eyes. The classroom lights were far too bright. So much for keeping a low profile.

"No what?" he asked, folding his arms with furrowed brows.

"No, you do not tire me." I responded neutrally, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear and sitting back.

"No, sir, you do not tire me." he corrected, slamming his hands against the desk. The students around me jumped back like a stone being dropped into water, my back staying rigid in my seat. "Nothing to say for yourself?"

"Can we do this another time? My head is killing me." I yawned, confidently - or stupidly, rather. I knew I'd regret it.

"Another time?" he questioned, his eyes frosting over with anger. "Out!"