chapter seventeen

In the end, I chose a new approach - to suck it up and deal with it another time. It was definitely the wrong way to go.

I could still feel the anger rising inside me and it was hard not to revert back to old tactics. Kicking off in detention would only lead to bigger problems and with that in my mind, I tried my best to forget about everything for the hour I had.

Eventually, the bell rang and everyone rushed to pack up. Danny left without even a glance my way, making it clear I was not wanted nor needed in his life.

I was fine with it. I mean, he was a stranger to me. And those fun times we had? They were meaningless.

At least now I wouldn't have to tell Lexi about him. Life goes on as normal.

"Careful, it's hot!" Lexi yelled, flapping her hands as I burnt my tongue on my food. I could have sworn it was lava, not a roasted potato, because my throat felt like it was melting.

"Thanks for the warning." I joked, sipping some water to ease the pain.

"Sorry, I should have said something before." apologised Lexi, blowing on her own meal.

"I should have known it would be hot, you're fine." I laughed, copying her actions. The cafeteria was known for either freezing cold food or burning hot. I played myself. "Plus, it kinda matches with the week I'm having."

I wasn't quite sure what or who ruled the universe but they really fucking hated me right now. Though it was probably karma for all the shitty things I'd done.

"Yeah, you're not exactly thriving right now." Lexi laughed, patting me on the head sarcastically. "It'll pass."

"I sure hope so, I'm tired of all the pain and trouble." I sighed, poking at my food. "Have you heard anything about Yaz?"

"Not yet. We should probably check up on her though, right?" wondered Lexi, resting her elbow on the table and her hand on her face.

"I'm sure the doctors will let us see her, it's visiting time now." I agreed with a full mouth, biting away on some veg. "And thank you for being so cool about all this."

With a silent nod from Lexi, I knew that she was happy to put her feelings for Yaz aside.

Shoving yet another roasted potato into my mouth, two familiar toffee-coloured eyes met with mine and as they began to widen, my throat began to close.

It was Danny. Of course it would be Danny. And now all I could feel was the potato wedging itself at the back of my mouth.

Coughing and spluttering, I began to lose hope that I'd ever breathe again but with a firm thump on my back from Lexi, the potato fell out rather unflatteringly.

"You alright?" she asked jovially, but my mind was too focused on Danny and the way he shook his head before walking back the way he came. I hadn't even noticed the number of people in the hall staring and pulling faces.

"Mae?" Lexi asked, shaking me slightly. "What's up with you?"

"I'm okay, sorry. It just frightened me a little." I lied, grabbing my things. The near death-by-potato experience was the last of my worries. "I'm not hungry anymore."