chapter ten

"Whatever you thought you saw, you're wrong okay?" I begged, holding onto his chest quickly and thoughtlessly as he attempted to push past me.

"Get out of the way, Mae. I can still catch up to him!" he growled, pulling and tugging away from my grip.

"Which is exactly why I'm holding onto you." I snapped back, realising that I was actually holding onto his chest.

The white material gripped to his skin, outlining a clear display of someone who worked out. As my heart skipped, he stopped fighting against my hands and came to a stop which left me wondering whether he felt it too.

"You can't let him get away with this, Mae. You realise this is abuse, don't you?" he asked, face softened and hands reaching out for mine. "Don't tell me what I saw was wrong, he's dangerous."

Moving my hands away, I stepped back. "Please don't try to help me." I pleaded, walking through my door.

As I attempted to close it, he pressed his body against the gap.

"Don't let him do this. Don't let him shut everyone out." breath heavy, he desperately tried to win me over.

"He's not. I just- I just need some space." I countered, focusing on the way his eyes met mine, sadly. "Plus I don't really know you, do I?"

"Mae, it's not hard to notice when you're not around even if we don't really know each other. You've been cooped up in this room for days. Avoiding your friends, your sister... me." he paused, stepping away from the door. "Look, you may think that this is the right thing to do, but you need someone to be there for you. If- if it can't be me, please let it be someone."

"I- I," I began, unsure of what to say. My grip loosened on the door as it opened up slightly. I couldn't trust his words, for they were empty promises. He couldn't be there for me, for I was a lost cause.

"Danny." Looking down at me with soft eyes, he stepped forward and uttered only five letters. Five letters that gave me hope of friendship.

A bemused look spun across my face as a smirk coated his.

"My name," he began, leaning on the door frame with an extended arm. "My name is Danny."

"So, what do you think?" he asked between bites, his mouth half-filled.

"You're right, this is so good." I said, biting down on a grilled cheese sandwich.

Sitting at the table in my small kitchen area, surrounded by dirty pots and utensils, we bonded over Danny's cooking abilities. I remember the words "Let me cheer you up." and all of the thoughts that flashed through my head when he said that.

It felt so good to be able to say his name, to put a title to the face that glared into my mind.

Danny.

My thoughts were interrupted by a small chuckle and as I peered across at my new friend, I noticed the large ketchup stain down his white shirt.

Focusing on the stain, I opened my mouth to speak but as he lifted his shirt over his head and rested it on the table, I lost all ability to speak.