IV

"I want to be Ariel."

"No! You were Ariel last time! I want to be Ariel."

We were sitting on what once was grass of the front yard of my house. It was mid-October and many different kinds of yellow, red and brown leaves surrounded us. It wasn't snowing but it was really cold outside.

My chubby fingers were getting rigid with the cold temperature as I wrapped them around the handle of the brush and brushed Ariel's hair ever so gently, careful not to hurt her nor pull out any of her beautiful red hair.

"She has red hair just like me, so she's meant to be with me!"

She grabbed the doll by her tiny feet and yanked her right out of my lap.

"Liv, you always say that. It's not fair! It's my doll."

My grandmother had given it to me for Christmas last year and Olivia and I have always been fighting over who gets to play with it ever since. She was the most beautiful baby doll I had ever seen and just like every other kid who loves their favorite toy, I didn't like to share her with anyone.

But Olivia was my best friend. So naturally, I would just let her have it her way because I'd rather have her company in return of anything else.

A small movement to my right caught my attention. I didn't know what it was as I turned to look at my mother's garden. As expected, I only saw a variety of different colors of flowers closing in for the winter.

It slightly moved its wings and that's when I noticed a beautiful red and black butterfly sitting on one of the red flowers of the garden. I held my breath at the amazement of its blissfulness.

It suddenly moved again and flew into the air, landing right on Olivia's nose.

"Liv, don't move!" I begged.

But it was worthless since Olivia is allergic to insects. She squirmed and sneezed and scared the butterfly away.

As the night approached, the wind picked up its speed making howling noises as it swirled within the trees, twirling the leaves and dragging the butterfly along with it.

"Girls, it's time to come inside. Supper is almost ready," my mother called from the front door.

"Mommy, we want to play some more. Pleeeeeeeeeease..." I gave her my best puppy-dog face.

"Get inside, Kenzie. It's too cold out."

I pouted my lips in defeat. We picked up our dolls and their accessories and headed for the house.

The fireplace was lit when we got in and I welcomed the warmth that spread through my body.

My dad was in his favorite place of the house; sitting in his armchair watching the game.

"I'm going to call Olivia's father to come pick her up," my mom said as she walked back to the kitchen.

"Can't she spend the night, Momma?"

She paused at the other side of the counter and smiled sweetly at me.

"You know it's a school night, Kenzie. Maybe on Friday."

I dropped my head and stared at my beaten shoes as I tried to think of an alternative. She was already dialing when I got it.

"Can't she at least stay for supper?" I pried. 

She looked at me and frowned for a bit. "I guess that wouldn't hurt."

Olivia and I exchanged mischievous glances, our grins ear-to-ear.