trust and decision to join

Xin Ai sat back and sipped his drink, "Why should we trust you?"

With his arm resting on the back of the couch, cooly asking something as if he were asking about the weather, he looked good. I admired him for a moment while Chi Shili was busy being stunned by his sudden change in character. From nice, polite boy to gangster- anyone would be surprised. Wait, what about me...?

"Well... We are all Magical beings..." She said it like it was obvious, not catching on at all.

"He means how do we know you aren't spying for the other side? That you won't say that we entered your cadaver when you are actually turning us into the kingdom, or to be slaves, never to be seen again, while you write it off as whatever you want to."

"But I won't do that! I'm a magical, just like you!"

"Chi Shili," Xin Ai's voice was cold, "Have you heard of guud humans?"

"Yes? Why?"

"Have you heard of bad humans?" She nodded. "Than why not bad Magicals? Humans and Magicals are similar in many respects. One of them being that either can be swayed. Sometimes for money, a rare plant, territory, etc. You can't tell me that there is nothing that could sway you to give up the name of a Magical stranger, can you? Maybe a promise that you could live out the rest of your life in luxury and safety? Maybe a peace treaty? Now, let me ask again." He leaned forward. His narrow eyes put a lot of pressure on her. His voice was low and sent shivers down my spine, "How do we know we can trust you?"

Chi Shili was scared, but she continued looking him straight in the eyes. Her stare was clear but her shaky voice gave her away, "I don't have anything like that."

Xin Ai smiled and fell back into the couch, returning to the polite, kind boy. "You better start thinking about it. If you are going to want any more Magicals to open up and trust us, we are going to need something that tells them they can trust us."

"That means you are joining?" She asked excitedly.

"Yes."Happily smiling at each other in their own little world they seem to have forgotten about me entirely.

"M-Me too! I'm joining too!" I couldn't let any other girls get ahead while I wasn't around. And if we really do find others of Xin Ai and my species than it will be a load off my shoulders.

On Earth, a common saying was about how things keep moving, even if you aren't around. About how, even after someone dies, the world will continue. Even if their life doesn't. If we go by this theory than, even if I wasn't on any of those planets, things will keep moving without me. And, eventually, someone else will do what I didn't. If Xin Ai and Chi Shili can find others it would mean that, even without me, their species wouldn't die. Even without me things will move forward. If they don't need me, than I'd be relieved of these burdens.

"You really like Xin Ai, don't you?" Chi Shili smiled at me.

I blushed and looked at my hands. "I-I don't..." After a moment I glanced at Xin Ai out of the corner of my eye. He wasn't even paying attention.

"Tell me more about this Pavilion of yours."

I sighed. His mind was already back on that. It's never been so difficult to conquer a boy.