Part 17

They got halfway to the tree before Phil started getting tired, "Phil, it's like the middle of the afternoon."

Phil leant against a tree and chuckled, "Yeah, but I died less that 48 hours ago. I'm gonna get a little out of breath."

Dan suddenly blushed, "Oh, yeah. Right. Sorry."
Phil laughed and stood up, before slapping Dan's arm lightly, "I'm messing with you."
Dan rolled his eyes, and started to follow Phil, "Seriously, I think we should leave it for the night, and start fresh tomorrow."

Phil nodded, "I'll try for a fire, you go and try to find some berries or something."
Dan nodded, before saying, "You sure you're going to be okay? I'll try not to be too long—"
"It's fine," Phil chuckled. "Just try not to get killed."

Dan smiled and nodded, "I'll be back in less than 5, okay? If I'm any more then come running."

Phil smiled and nodded back and knelt to start a fire.

Dan took one last look back, before turning to walk away.

Dan hated this, he hated leaving Phil. He was always so scared he would never see him again.
But had to trust Phil, after all, he was cleverer than he looked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dan walked far into the jungle when he heard a branch start to snap.

He was confused as to where it was coming from, until he looked up and saw 2 people sat on a branch that was slowly starting to break.

"Oh sh*t," he heard a girl whisper. "You think he saw us?"
"Yes, he did," Dan yelled up. "So are you gonna come down here and fight? Or wait for that branch to snap and then come and fight?"
"The branch isn't snapping, idiot," another girl snapped at him.
"Oh yeah?" Dan said, and reached on his belt to grab a butterfly knife.

He threw it with such force it hit the root of the branch a second later, causing it to snap and break off.

He jumped backwards as the girl's screamed, the branch hit the floor a second later.
"I beg to differ," Dan finished, as the girls stood up and got their weapons.

One of them had a machete and the other had a katana and a bow and arrows.
One of them with short black hair launched at him with her machete, but he quickly raised his axe to stop it from hitting his shoulder.

They continued to fight, until Dan had her pinned to the floor with his foot stood on her machete hand and his axe to her throat.

It was then when he realized what happened, he quickly looked up and saw the girl with the katana had gone, and she'd been gone this whole time.

"What?" Dan breathed.
"We've been watching you for hours," the girl grinned evilly. "both of you."
Dan's heart dropped as he realized where katana-girl had gone.

Phil.

Dan's fear slowly grew into anger as he remembered he had this girl pinned, with an axe to her throat.

"You little b*tch," he said with gritted teeth, and sliced his axe across her throat.

A cannon went off for her the second his axe sliced open her throat.

Dan stumbled up, and immediately bolted away to Phil's aid, axe in hand in case he needed it.

He hoped to God he didn't need it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phil was blowing on the fire, willing it to grow and he gave a victory grin when he noticed it did.

But his newly-beating heart almost stopped again when he heard a cannon blow off.
"Dan?" Phil said, and then yelled, "Dan!"

No reply. Phil's breathing sped up as he scrambled up, grabbing his bow.