The escape

Michael and Benjamin made their way back to the castle. The hellhounds followed closely as they entered it and Michael lead Benjamin to the spiral staircase in the middle of the castle. Benjamin looked around curiously as they walked through the grey castle and when they came in the circular room with the statues and stairs, his eyes moved over all the doors. He knew what was there, Michael had told him about it. He didn't want to see those rooms. He followed Michael up the staircase, looking only briefly through the open door halfway up. The bedroom of the demon, it was more elegant than he had imagined. The white walls with golden patterns seemed to be in contrast with the otherwise gloomy and dark castle. He soon saw the mattress and leash Michael had talked about. He definitely didn't want to see what was behind the door on the opposite side of the room, that had to be the torture chamber Michael mentioned before. He followed Michael up to the room where the demon did his rituals and spells, but when he saw him try the door it became apparent the door was locked.

"The dogs," Michael said and Benjamin looked at him with an expression that showed he wasn't sure what Michael was talking about. "Hellhounds, I mean. They breath fire."

"Right." Benjamin knelt down to the closest and took it's fanged face in his hands. "Please open this door for us, this might be the only chance I have of going home."

The hellhound nodded and both Michael and Benjamin quickly went a few steps down the stairs as it opened its mouth and breathed a hot stream of fire. They had to shield their eyes from the heat, but when the flames died out the door was almost completely incinerated. Only a few black pieces around the edges remained.

"Thank you," Benjamin said and they quickly entered the room.

This was the only room in the castle Michael never visited before. The wooden floor was empty, aside from a lecture stand in the middle. One sturdy cabinet stood to the right, the two doors wide open. Michael walked over to it and saw dozens of books and one bone box. He curiously opened the box and excitement and sadness started battling for a place in his eyes as he examined the contents. It had charms in it, including the one Dave always used. He took Dave's charm, kissed it and held it in his hand as he closed his eyes. "Right," he muttered after taking a moment to collect himself. "I'll have to read up on the spells."

"How long do we have?"

"Not very long. Stand guard with the hellhounds, if he comes back early they might hold him off long enough for me to find the spell and perform it." He quickly took the first book and started reading.

It was impossible to tell how much time had passed and even though Michael read some interesting things, he hadn't found the spell he needed when he heard Xantier call his name. "Crap," he muttered as he flipped the page in the book. He looked towards Benjamin, who started to look afraid now. And why wouldn't he? He knew what Xantier had done to him, it was likely the demon would do similar things to Benjamin too. "It will be all right."

"Really?" Benjamin whispered, his face looked a lot paler than it had before.

"I can't defeat him, I'm strong, but I don't think I'm strong enough to kill him. And even if I am, I don't have the time to work out a spell for that, but with my charm I can bind him. I know a powerful spell to do that. If your friends can hold him off for a bit I can prepare that spell and work on the portal after that."

Benjamin nodded and turned to the hellhounds. "There is a demon in the castle," he told them. "Please attack him."

The hellhounds nodded and darted down the stairs. As Michael mumbled some incantations they could hear Xantier shouting, the hellhounds growling and whining, the sound of hard objects falling. Then the sounds stopped, but they were soon replaced with calm footsteps coming up the stairs.