48.1 | Blind

Part II

Once it passed, everyone fanned out to find both Gai and Madara. All of their eyes locked onto the long scar in the earth and followed it until they found Madara pressed against the tree's roots. His body was nearly torn in half but Hagami, using her Mangekyō Sharingan, saw a grin on Madara's face.

"He's...laughing." Hagami murmured in shock.

"Can you find Gai-Sensei?!" Lee shrilled in worry. Hagami looked to him and saw the pleading in his eyes. She gave him a brief nod and turned back to the battlefield. Her eyes locked onto the a charring figure in the ground, a shallow crater created around him. Instantly, she made up her mind about something she was pondering the moment that Gai decided that he was going forth with the Eight Inner Gates Formation.

"He's..." she trailed off, unable to explain what she saw, "still breathing but it's extremely faint. I can barely sense and see any chakra running through his body."

"What about Madara?" Kakashi asked and Hagami averted her eyes. the near deaf gasp alerted everyone that it was not good.

"He's already regenerated." Hagami responded breathlessly. Neither Sasuke or Naruto are back yet, and there is still a way to heal Gai. She thought. "Shisui, guard my back." Hagami pushed to her feet and the two approached Gai before Madara could gain his bearings. "Make sure that nothing reaches me as I do this." She ordered him as she put a hand to Gai's heart.

"What are you-"

"Watch out!" Hagami snapped as a Truth-Seeking ball was shot toward them. Instantly, she saw the green aura of Shisui's Susanoo flare to life around him. It's hand blocked the oncoming Truth-Seeking ball, but in the process it shattered.

Hagami began to focus all of her chakra into her remaining eye. Whether or not it'd work depended, but Hagami was determined. After seeing Lee's eyes pleading Gai to not die during the entire fight, Hagami knew how it felt to know that death was an option at the end. She had just experienced it with Sasuke, though she could feel his chakra returning now.

"Hagami? What are you doing?! I can't hold out for much longer." Shisui snapped at her, his Susanoo cracking as another Truth-Seeking ball crashed into it.

"Give me five more seconds." She drew in a sharp breath and exhaled heavily. Her right eye had already been plunged into darkness, and now she was going to do the same with her left.

Shisui heard her chant a single word, as if it were a spell. He jerked his head around just in time to see Gai's body become covered in a faint light. Since Hagami didn't have enough chakra to perform the technique completely, she left it up to her own chakra coursing through her body to be transferred to Gai. She made sure to focus the majority on his heart whilst the rest halted his body from being reduced to ash.

It was somewhat comparable to Medical Ninjutsu, but with Hagami performing the first technique already, she was having trouble using her chakra to manipulate blood flow and healing through the ability of her left Mangekyō Sharingan eye.

She was losing sight by the second, and also conscious. Hagami's head became light, and a swirling headache tried to rend her focus. She could feel her chakra slipping away from her fingertips as she funneled it through Gai until she completed her goal.

I know this is selfish of me, using the Izanagi in this situation. Hagami bit her cheek to keep herself awake. It wasn't long until she tasted iron within her saliva. But if there's anything I learned, it's that losing a friend...not to mention a sibling or a family member is the most painful thing in the world. And as far as I know, if I die here, at least I will be in my rightful place. Hagami fell over to one side, but never moved her hand or let her chakra waver. Her left arm caught her before she slipped away in a comfortable void of darkness.

"No...what are you doing?" Shisui demanded an answer as his Susanoo shattered. He flew off his feet and into the ground too far away from Hagami when the next Truth-Seeking ball was launched.

I've already caused enough sorrow and hatred with my very presence. If this is the last of me, at least I'll know that I can't harm or injure another shinobi, no...human again. Hagami looked up to catch a glimpse at how fast it was coming at her. She shut her eyes as she felt a wave of sickness roar through her body. She shuddered as a frigid cold blanket enveloped her.

Her eyesight finally vanished. Her world was plunged into darkness a few seconds after her body began shivering. But perhaps there was still a few fragments of chakra. Her left arm that was holding her up was shaking terribly but the one over Gai's heart was held still.

"C'mon, a little more!" Hagami strained past her lips. It was barely more than a whisper as she shoved the last fragments of chakra out of her body.

Now she had sealed her fate and completed the Izanagi once and for all. She felt her chakra network had overworked itself some hours back but now it was being torn apart. Whether or not it was repairable wasn't a concern to Hagami and she felt her senses slip from her control.

However, before her conscious fully slipped away, she heard an impact. But in her ears, it sounded like a crashing building and she winced as her fingers lost their grasp on the world. She began to fall backward, her senses holding on just long enough to feel someone catch her before hit the ground.

"Will...able...save her?"

---

Enjoy!

-silent