A Loud Screetch

Sootkit woke up in alarm with the rough jabbing of his brother beside of him; pushing him away from the comforting warmth of his brother's pelt and into a lonely patch of cold grass like every night before.

      He never got to be around his brother much, as Spiderkit usually avoided him all day. The only time he was ever near him was during the night, when his brother was finally asleep. Only then could he would move away from his mother's side and curl next to his brother. Eventually, his brother would awaken in the middle of the night and push him away with an angry huff. Sootkit never acted like he was woken up by the rough pushing though, he always kept his eyes glued shut and his face emotionless or Spiderkit would make him stop. 

     This night was somewhat different though, as only moments after being pushed away Sootkit heard faint pawsteps heading out of the den. He instantly knew it was Spiderkit as his pawsteps seemed lighter and more frequent than a heavy, full-grown Warrior or Queen. 

     Reluctantly, Sootkit pried open one of his eyes. Only opening it slightly so that Spiderkit wouldn't notice if he looked at him. 

     Sootkit jolted with surprise as he saw the faint outline of a kit slowly pad closer to the front of the Nursery. He knew it! Spiderkit was leaving camp again!

     Sootkit glanced at Redfang. Dread filled Sootkit as he realized the tired tom was too asleep to notice Spiderkit pass by him and out of the Nursery. Sootkit rolled over and fully opened his eyes, worriedly glancing between Redfang and Ivyleaf.  

     Brackenpaw wasn't here like she was last time to warn Ivyleaf of Spiderkit's escape like she had done before. It was up to him. Sootkit got to his paws and glanced at his mother with a doubtful glance. If Spiderkit found out that he had told Ivyleaf that he had left the den, Spiderkit would probably never forgive him. 

     The thought terrified Sootkit to the point where he completely pushed all thoughts of warning Ivyleaf about his brother away. Guilt flooded his conscience as he looked over at his mother. She would be so worried if she found out Spiderkit was missing again.  

     Sootkit twitched his ears. He could go and get his brother himself, that way there would be no trouble from the clan or Spiderkit. Sootkit shuddered at the thought of adventuring alone so far from camp and experienced Warriors. Unlike his brother, the nightly hoots of owls and the fearful squeaks of terrified mice was a warning enough to stay at camp where he was safe. He felt his strength give way to fear as he remembered Twistedfoot's stories of birds who were larger than a full-grown fox that enjoyed feasting on cats. 

     Sootkit looked around the den nervously and quietly padded outside, the songs of crickets covering up the faint snapping of bush branches under his paws as he left the den. Slowly, he left the safety of the tree and padded down the hill, following the distinct scent of Spiderkit.  

   As Sootkit followed the trail of grass Spiderkit left behind, he felt the anxiety within him increase rapidly. He searched the skies, warry of the dimly lit night sky that gave preditors the ability to ambush their prey. 

It wasn't long before he finally caught up to his brother, who was playing on a pile of large boulders by the Apprentice's ledge. Sootkit watched as his brother playfully stuck his paws into the crevices, trying to drag something out. 

The ledge was almost exactly how it was described to him by Twistedfoot in his stories. The land was flat and filled with stones and boulders of various sizes. The ledge, however, was more like a cliff. Sootkit peered down the cliff cautiously and instantly backed away. The bottom was so far down he couldn't even see it and that was something he didn't want to risk. 

 Twistedfoot had always left out the part about the Apprentice's ledge when Spiderkit was around. The tom always said that the kit had "the eyes of adventure" and would take off the moment he found something interesting enough to get in trouble for. No matter how perilous the journey or how many warnings were given.  Sootkit looked away from the cliff and back at his brother. It seemed that Twistedfoot was right. 

Sootkit looked at his brother, who was fearlessly hopping from boulder to boulder on the rockpile. Each time the kit hopped, the boulders shifted slightly, sending tiny crumbles of rock down the cliff and into the darkness. Sootkit held his breath, he didn't want to startle his brother, but he was unknowingly getting closer and closer to the edge. 

Suddenly, Sootkit noticed the moonlight above them flicker for a brief moment. A dark shadow instantly swooped by, followed by the startled yowl of his brother, who was struggling in the grip of a hawk.