Chapter Eleven--A New Quest

Erianthe set down her cup after she finished her story. "That's what happened," she said.

The man Atalae had called Erik sat across from her. During the time that Erianthe described Delos' calamity and her quest, Erik kept a calm demeanor. At the end of it all, he placed a hand over his heart and bowed his head.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Erik said.

Unsure how to respond, Erianthe just mumbled, "Thank you."

After pouring another cup of tea, Erik offered some to Erianthe. She politely refused.

All three of them—Erianthe, Chris, Atalae—stayed silent as they waited for Erik's response. Chris sat next to his brother. Despite the decade long age gap between the two brothers, Erik and Chris didn't look very different from each other. If anything, Chris looked like a younger version of Erik. Blond hair, dull blue eyes. And they both had the pale, fair skin that stood out when Erianthe compared it to her and Atalae's tanner tone.

"I do wonder how they managed to link the Orichalcum to your sword. Aegis is known for being unbreakable, yes?"

"Yes. I have wondered that myself. I just assumed that my friend's father had something to do with it." Erianthe paused and took a deep breath. Talking about Orion made her remember Kyros, then the screams, then her father. When she calmed down, she continued, "He specialized in manipulating the Orichalcum."

Erik nodded. "We can ask Raios when he returns. Now would you mind if I read the letter?" he asked. "Raios is not here, and we are not certain of when he'll be back."

Erianthe hesitated to hand him the letter.

Next to Erianthe, Atalae whispered, "Erik is considered our second in command. You can trust him."

Ignoring the silence she was creating, Erianthe measured her options. It wasn't a matter of trust. Erianthe had no doubt that the people that took her in and offered her hospitality were honorable. The Imperis they carried testified that this band was strong. If she handed the letter to Erik, they could possibly form a plan against the Rogues.

What bothered her was that this man was not Raios.

"How long will he be gone?" Erianthe asked.

"He will return in a week or so. If you're uncomfortable with giving it to me, one of us can ride out to fetch him, but it will still take a few days," Erik said.

A week seemed far too long to hold onto whatever information was in this letter. Erianthe rummaged around in the satchel by her feet then pulled out the crinkled paper. Without a word, she presented it to Erik.

"Thank you," he said.

Once again, Erianthe and the others waited silently as Erik scanned the letter. Chris poured another cup of tea. As Erik's eyes traveled further down the page, his eyebrows furrowed. Then Erianthe saw him dart back up to the top of the page to read it again. After the second time, the man rested his head on his hand as if he were thinking.

"What does it say?" Erianthe asked.

"You didn't read it?" Chris asked her.

"No, it wasn't my letter," Erianthe said. "My father said to give it to Raios."

Would her late father have been disappointed in her? Failing to protect Kyros, failing to deliver the letter to Raios? The letter had made it to Lyca though. Erianthe bit her lip and tried to relax.

As boy brought his cup up for another sip, he peeked at the letter. Whatever he read must have been shocking because Chris choked and spilled a bit of his tea. His drink landed on his white shirt in brown splotches.