Chapter Twenty Nine--Among the Rogues

Aegis dropped onto the deck.

Kyros grabbed a long rope from the deck, tied it to the mast closest to the side of the boat then to his waist, and jumped overboard after Pluto.

Only when he hit the water did Kyros think about what Pluto had done to him and Erianthe. As he opened his eyes under the sea, he pushed that thought aside. Too late to change his mind now.

The saltwater stung his eyes like nothing else. In between furious blinks to push away the pain, Kyros spotted Pluto among the shadows fighting the dead tentacle in an attempt to push it off. She was losing. Kyros swam over. With the help of his father's knife, which he had kept tucked in his belt, he hacked off pieces of the tentacles until it was light enough to push off.

His lungs strained for air. In search of breath, Kyros grabbed Pluto and kicked up to the waves' surface. Both of them sputtered once they broke the water's surface.

Wiping the salty water from his face, Kyros caught his breath. On the deck, Ares pulled the rope that Kyros had tied to his waist. After a while, Ares and the crew managed to pull Kyros and Pluto back onto the deck.

Coughing, Pluto couldn't even manage to say thank you to Kyros. The boy watched as she opened her mouth to speak, shut it again, and turned away in shame.

"Where did you learn to swim?" Ares asked.

"In a lake from my father. It's different from diving into the ocean though," Kyros said in between coughs.

Reyna popped up onto the deck. After glancing between the sopping wet youths, she gasped softly.

"What happened? Are you two all right?" she asked in her calm voice.

As Ares explained the situation to Reyna, the captain of the ship trudged over to Kyros with a new pair of shackles in his hands. Unlike before, no hint of malice showed on the man's face only regret.

"Thank you for saving Miss Pluto," the captain said. "We are in you debt."

Kyros held up his hands. The captain cuffed Kyros' wrists, in front of him this time, then led Kyros below deck. As they stepped down, Kyros noticed Pluto staring at him before turning away again.

For the rest of the night, Kyros sat in his secluded corner by the few crates and stared at the thin, metal trails in the ship's side. He hadn't notice them before Ares had pointed them out. The boy alternated between dozing off and contemplating his choice to save Pluto.

When he closed his eyes, Kyros could see the stars disappearing as he dove into the water. Kyros banged his head against the side of the ship. He had saved Pluto, but he hadn't saved his mother.

Kyros had dove into the water after his enemy, one of the people who destroyed Delos, but he couldn't save even one of the people he had sworn to protect.

I make this oath to Delos.

Delos was no more.

My blade protects the weak and fights alongside my allies.

Kyros protected no one.

My heart and honor will walk uprightly. Upon my name, I swear this. I will walk the path of heroes. As a warrior of Delos, I promise to uphold my duty. To protect this town and the lives inside.

What lives were spared that day? Who had Kyros saved?

When Ares stepped down the creaking stairs, Kyros glanced up. Displaying his scar on the back of his arm, Ares ran his hand through his dark hair. Of all the Rogues, this man had been the one to make Kyros question his oath the most.