Chapter Twenty Seven--Medusa and Icarus (Pt.2)

Before she could kill another snake, the reptile grazed Erianthe's arm.

"Ow. Ow, ow, ow," Erianthe repeated.

The scratch was small, the poison was not. Although Erianthe didn't hear it, her skin sizzled.

"I got you," Chris said.

The boy laid the blade of his staff flat against Erianthe's wound. Within seconds, the graze disappeared.

"I can't do this too often, so be careful," Chris said.

"Duck," Icarus said.

The black-haired girl chucked another knife into a snake's head.

For the next hour, the three of them rescued more people in that area of the town. Children, women, men all ran past them with thank yous pouring out their mouths. Icarus smiled at all of them.

The fighting stopped when the snakes turned into stone. Yet, the three fighters all struck the rock before they realized the snakes had petrified. A sword, a staff, and a knife scraped the rough rock in a terrific screech.

"Oh, that hurts," Icarus said.

The black-haired girl rubbed her ears.

Within moments, the snakes crumbled into fine dust. Anyone could have mistaken it for earlier snow except for the fact that the dust sparkled and flew everywhere. Erianthe coughed.

"I guess they did it," Chris said.

"I would say it'd be less of a guess and more of a fact," Erianthe said.

"Who did what?" Icarus asked.

Chris brushed some monster dust off his shoulder. "Right. We haven't introduced ourselves. I'm Chris. This is Erianthe--"

"Hello," Erianthe said. "Thank you for helping us."

"--and we're here with Raios' band from Lyca. Our friends went to fight the main body."

"Oh, I see." Icarus smiled. "I've heard of you guys before. You really are strong heroes."

Erianthe smiled back. 'You're quite strong as well. We're actually looking for more people to help us fight. Would you be interested?"

Chris elbowed Erianthe. Icarus saw, given that she chuckled and turned away to hide her laugh.

"What are you doing? We don't know her," Chris whispered.

"Anybody who'd risk their life to fight monsters can't be that bad," Erianthe whispered back. "Also, we need more help."

Icarus coughed loudly to draw their attention. "Actually, I cannot, sadly. Erianthe, was it? You're quite strong."

Chris huffed for some reason.

Icarus continued, "But I cannot. I have my own business to attend to before my sisters yells at me." The girl winked. "But I have no doubt that we'll see each other again. If not by coincidence, I'll be sure to find you once I get my sister's permission."

Erianthe smiled. "Then I'll look forward to it," she said politely.

Icarus chuckled. "I will too. Now, if you'll excuse me."

Just before Icarus turned her face away from Erianthe and Chris's view, Erianthe caught a glimpse of the black-haired girl pulling something from the small pouch on her belt. Afterwards, Icarus drew her hands towards her face and tied a ribbon behind her head.

As quickly as she appeared, Icarus disappeared.

His eyes trailing after the girl, Chris asked, "How come she didn't say anything about my strength?"