Chapter Nine - Samuel

The golden sun blinded our eyes as it set below the western window, sending orange and yellow hues across the red and brown carpet. We gathered around the fireplace, taking in the scent of burning aspen. Blaise' hand was still intertwined with mine. I could tell she was tense. The journey ahead weighing heavily on her mind.

"Hot cocoa?" my father asked, attempting to lighten the mood.

Aria jumped up from her chair, one hand towards the ceiling. "Yes please!" This caused us all to laugh, easing a lot of the tension we held. No matter how high her anxiety was, she tried to stay her bubbly self.

Blaise nodded, her curly auburn hair bouncing slightly as the final rays of the setting sun added a little red. "That sounds nice. We should sit down and relax while we make these charms. The more love and patience we have, the safer our friends and families will be."

I sat on the couch next to her, our hands finally letting go. She pulled up the coffee table and placed a few pouches of herbs and some small leather bags neatly in a row. My task was to mix the herbs and seal them in the bags so we could hand them to the families. They were to be burned over the time of a couple weeks, while we were away. These herbs consisted of acacia, angelica, anise, birch, burnet, carnation, cypress, echinacea, and elderberry. Aria had a bag with lavender and luck beads to braid bracelets for the children.

While we were in town I had also bought cinnamon sticks to give our warriors for protection and luck against any attack, and some snacks for our trip. Beef jerky was my all-time favorite, though highly expensive.

An hour passed as we sat quietly, working on our keepsakes for the villagers and sipping our hot cocoa. My father read War Against Demons diligently. We hadn't mentioned our findings to Aria and Blaise yet, but we would after we finished our crafts. We needed to be on the same page when we left the following day. We also needed to discuss a path of travel. The Devil's Dip was our best chance of finding Derek.

Wiping the sweat from my forehead, I sat up straight. "Whelp, I have the herbal bags ready. How about you two?"

Aria looked up. "Just got a couple more bracelets to go." Blaise barely muttered. She was focused on studying the different spells to use for the items we were giving out. We watched for a minute as her eyebrows furled in frustration. "Blaise?" Aria whispered, trying to get our friend's attention.

Blaise looked up and, without hesitation, smiled her bright and charming smile. "Sorry, guys. I'm just trying to make sure everyone is safe while we are gone. I miss my brother a lot, and we are going to get him back. But the town needs us to look after them too."

My father looked up from his book and nodded. "With that said, I think it's time we discuss what Sam and I discovered that way you two can help us determine the best route of action. Sam?" he stood up, handing me the copy of War Against Demons.

I stood, balancing my weight equally and straightening my back. My mission: to relay information while simultaneously making Blaise and Aria smile. Inhaling deeply, I began.

My father was highly unimpressed, but Blaise and Aria giggled while I performed my miraculous speech. There's nothing wrong with trying to keep the mood light, is there? When I finished, I closed the book dramatically. I dropped the act, slightly out of exhaustion. "To conclude, my father and I believe that we are facing the demons. What their goal is, we don't know. Why they want Derek? That is also a mystery. Our best guess is to head towards Devil's Dip and pray the Goddess leads us in the right direction."

A moment of silence passed as we thought over what information was just relayed. "Do you have a map?" Blaise asked.

"Of course!" my father bellowed in his deep, gravelly voice. "Why would I, the general of the Lycan forces, not have a map? The question is what type of map do you wish to use?" he winked, causing the girls to giggle.

Blaise smiled. "Well, I think the best type of map to use is a continental map of [Belevia]. We need to decide which gate we will pass through in order to enter Velexa and then make our way through the [Ekrish Mountains]. We should also need to find villages to stop by for provisions."

The entire party nodded. "We should consider bringing a couple extra people," my father suggested. "While we are skilled, extra arms can be used in combat." Another round of nods. We took a minute to think of suggestions.

"What about Tyler," Aria pitched. A slight tension grew between us. Blaise and I were indifferent when it came to Tyler. While Derek never openly mentioned it, we suspected they were, at the least, romantically interested in each other. These things were no longer taboo, but it was rare and somewhat discomforting. However, if they were happy and took care of each other, we had no right to complain.

"There's this kid," Blaise started. "Tobiaus. He is a prodigy, and can also speak to animals. He could be useful to us. Plus, I know he is itching for adventure."

"He's only fourteen!" Aria protested. She was quite fond of Tobiaus. He was part changeling, like Aria, and other races looked at their kind as thieves.

"Do you really think that this is going to be that dangerous?" Lucas asked, his eyebrows raised. "Tobi is a very capable kid, regardless of his age. He has been well trained with the bow, he can speak to animals and has a charm about him that draws the creatures to him. He can shapeshift into creatures, just like you Aria. That ability can be used to hide if need be. I am sure things will be fine."

Aria turned towards me, hoping that my opinion would differ. I shook my head. "My father is right. Tobiaus will be very helpful, and I am sure he will enjoy every moment he spends on this adventure. He has been cooped up here too long." She lowered her eyes in defeat. "I know you want to protect him, but if you think about it: he might be safer with us than here in the village."

That seemed to get the point across to her. "Okay, but let's be careful and not put him in the front. Or back. Somewhere in the middle should be okay." A huge grin crossed her face. I knew she was overly worried about the kid, and that she was only trying to be positive, but I was certain everything would be fine.

My father left to grab the map. A couple minutes passed as Blaise and Aria were admiring each other's craftsmanship. My thoughts were on the journey ahead. What new species would we see? What battles would we face? And, the most important question, would we be able to save Derek? He was a strong man with a determined spirit, but, while we know who the enemy may be, we still know nothing of their antics. For all we knew, he could already be dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had finished studying the map. The plan was to go across the [] valley and enter Velexa through their northern gate, considering it was closer and a familiar path. We were avid travelers, so the guards and city folk knew us well. We would grab provisions, consisting of food to last us a few days, a good night's rest, and maybe a couple souvenirs, keeping Tobi in mind.

Hand in hand, Blaise and I walked to my room. "We have a long adventure ahead of us," she said. Her eyes were full of worry.

"What's on your mind?" I asked, rhetorically.

"I am worried about us, about Tobi and Aria, about Tyler, about your father and whoever else is accompanying us. We only know a little bit about the demons. Plus, we have never traveled near the Ekrish Mountains, let alone beyond it. Maps can't guide us."

I chuckled a little, "calm down, Blaise. Are you forgetting the fact that we are an amazing team? I can read the earth and ask Earth herself to guide us through the mountains. If we get caught in bad weather, Aria can ask Wind to keep us safe. And you, you hold all the elements. Earth, Air, Spirit, Water, and Fire. You can help us with the things we don't have the power to ask for. Not to mention you can call upon the great Goddess herself to help us. Blaise," I placed my hands on her face and pulled her slightly closer to mine. "We have this. My father will read the map and take diplomatic matters into his own hands. We are bringing two extra guards to watch our things. And Tobi, well, we'll call him a distraction from the hard things that we will surely face. This journey will teach us many things. Plus, we'll get Derek back."

Blaise smiled, "you're right."

"Of course I am," I stated as I winked at her. I sent her to bed with a gentle kiss, and a small slap on the butt just to give her good dreams. Regardless of how hard things might be, she deserved to have a little fun, and I would gladly take it.