A Nightingale Sang Chapter 6

Margaret twirled slowly in front of the mirror. Was the gown too much for a simple station dance? It wasn't new of course. Margaret stopped mid twirl. Was it only last year that she had brought the dress? How the world had changed. Then she had been a carefree university student who had just finished her degree, the dress a gift from her parents for the last university ball. Now here she was attending a dance that for some would almost certainly be their last for a long time. The news from France was awful and the British Expeditionary Force was in full retreat. How long could the gouvernment keep the plight of The BEF quiet from the public. She sighed, yes tonight would be the last time for a while that any of them would share a simple dance. She glanced down at her gown again, it was Bessie Higgins doing that she was wearing it. The young Australian girl had been so excited about the dance and had talked of nothing else for days, Margaret smiled as she recalled how the subject of dresses had come up.

"I suppose all the officers will be queuing up to dance with you Ma'am? You being the only female officer on the base."

"I don't think so Higgins, a lot of them are married or have sweethearts" she smiled at the younger girl

"What about Flight Lieutenant Thornton, he hasn't got a girl and he gave you a lift home," she chatted on while she was typing.

"Higgins the Flight Lieutenant has not even mentioned the dance, in fact I doubt he will be attending, he does not seem the type to dance." Margaret really could not see him dancing he didn't seem gentlemanly enough.

"Don't tell me you haven't thought about it though Ma'am," Bessie continued cheekily.

"Higgins I most..." Margaret's words were cut of by Bessie continuing.

"Of course you'd better get some new clothes, that uniforms not very flattering. He will have loads of girls after him." She gave her commanding Officer a wink. "Seriously though it's a pity we have to wear uniform. I think it would be a boost for the men to be able to dance with a girl in dress not some scratchy uniform."

"Honestly Higgins the way you talk, I should put you on a charge for your cheekiness but I find myself agreeing with you. I think I will speak to Group Captain Bell." Margaret smiled

"Really that's great. What about you Sergeant Dixon are you coming to the dance and are you bring a beau? Actually is there a Mister Dixon?"

"Honestly if the station commander finds out how you talk Higgins we will all be up on a charge," She scolded "But to answer your question. No there is no Mister Dixon but I have had my chances I'm sure and yes I will be at the dance. Someone will have to keep you in line."

"All right now Higgins enough of your chatter. Work please." Margaret attempted to reprimand the young WAAF who merely chuckled at the tone before getting on with her work. Margaret smiled for all her chatter Bessie was an excellent worker and out of this office she was well aware of how she should behave.

So she had gone to Group Captain Bell not expect the old misogynist to agree, only to be surprised. He had explained that two of the squadrons were moving down to the coast in readiness for the call to attack in France so a little glamour might just be what they all needed.

Checking her appearance one last time she set of across the base to the hall where the dance was being held. It was a beautiful early summer evening; seemingly so peaceful, she realised it was all just an illusion and the world stood on an abysses, but just for tonight she hoped that the men and woman on the base could pretend all was well.

He stood alone leaning against a wall, nursing a small glass of beer in his hand. Most of the other lads in his squadron were dancing, none of them sharing his inhibitions. He really should not have come, when had he ever had time to dance or relax? He had always been to busy with the Mill, it had been his duty to keep it running. He was brought out of his thoughts by a young women clearing her throat. He looked down at her puzzled.