A Nightinglae Sang Chapter 19

Chapter 19 Look Back At Me.

Margaret trod the path of grief very slowly. It appeared that she was bearing up better than expected. Some days she even seemed cheerful. In truth however, she felt nothing just this incredible numbness. She was given some compassionate leave to help her father and decide what she was going to do. Her father had been brought so low by the terrible loss of his wife at ome point she thought she would have to resign from the WAAF. If it had not been for Mary Higgins, Margaret could never have returned to Andover. The young Australian girl had been so good with Mr Hale, and was so helpful to him in Parish matters, that Margaret felt she could return to the WAAF. As Nicholas had said, Mary had come into her own since Bessie's death.

She had seen very little of John, since his promotion he had been busy, their interludes away from the war had seemed to stop. Margaret presumed his promotion and all its extra work had been the reason he had been unable to get leave to attend her mothers memorial service in Helston. Maria's body had never been identified, and she along with countless others was buried in a mass grave in Coventry. Margaret had organised the service in Helston so that Marie's friends could pay their respect, and to help her father say his goodbyes as well. Fred had managed to come home. By chance he was in the country after four months at sea when his mother died. Margaret wished that John had been able to attend the funeral, for she would have liked him and Fred to have met.

December had been bitterly cold many of her WAAFs had complained at the freezing temperatures in the huts. Margaret had turned a blind eye to the sweet talking and flirting some did to obtain a few pieces of coal. 1940 was drawing to a close. The country had been at war for over year. Try as he might, Hitler had not broken the country's spirit. He had not been able to invade; Britain stood firm.

Group Captain Bell had organised a station Dance on New Years Eve. Margaret did not think she would attend. She could not face spending New Year watching others have fun. She was going to return to Helston, although her Father and Mary had gone to her Aunt Shaw for Christmas, so the house would be empty.

John Thornton had made his decision he was going to ask her. The orders he had received this morning had finally made up his mind. He had stayed away from Margaret since her mothers memorial service, he didn't think she had even known he had attended. He had arrived late and was sat at the back of the Church hidden from view. He had watched Margaret come in with her father and the man he had seen her with before, at the docks in Dover and the pub in Andover. It was his arm that circled her waist supporting her as she walked up the aisle, his shoulder she rested her head on during the service. Margaret had no need for him. Having no desire to meet this man face to face, having to be polite, make small talk, he had left the church and pretended he had never attended the service. He had then stayed away from Margaret to protect his shattered heart.

His posting had changed all that. He had to spend New Years Eve with her, just to talk with her and hold her in his arms as they danced. He had to do this while they still could.

He hoped that Dixon would not be in Margaret's office as he did not want to ask her in front of anybody, lest she refuse him.

She looked up at the knock on her door, and was surprised to see John entering.

"Hello stranger. I haven't see you in weeks . New job keeping you busy?"

"Yes it is rather, how are you Margaret?" John thought she looked tired.

"Oh I'm alright."

"I wondered if you would like to come with me to the station dance tomorrow?" he asked almost shyly.

Margaret looked at him his, eyes so full of hope. She felt terrible but she needed to go home.

"I had been going home, if I stay for the dance I will not get a lift..." she explained.