Chapter 15: Mint

Chapter 15 - Mint

Like a mirage. I'm smitten. His jaw. His lips. The bob of his throat. I can't look in his eyes, but above them his hair moves a little against a breeze that makes me shiver. Tears still fall. I feel stupid. I feel beyond ashamed. He had to come all this way. My fist clenches the lapel of his open coat, my knuckles white. The metal zipper digging in the sensitive skin under my thumb. Like I fear he'd go away or disappear. This is something like a desert and you thirst for relief. But the only difference to the desert's sand is really thick grass, fallen branches and mold on tall trees. Greens. A mirage in the woods. That's him. That's now.

My breath hitches in hiccups as he cups water in his palm and pours it over my face. Relief. I exhale and sprinkles spray out of my lips. The next one he brings it to my lips. I look down and I'm hesitant. He insistently pushes forward and I eagerly drink. The freezing water trickles inside, down to my stomach. Euphoria. I realize how thirsty I am. The next palm full I reach out before it even arrives. My parted lips clumsily bump against the side of his hand, frantic. I don't care. I drink again. I faintly feel his gaze on my face. One more quenching cup of his palm and he moves on to my hands. He inspects them. Washing away the blood. He makes it all better.

It's quiet besides my soft sniffles and sighs. My body aches. It finally settles and I'm exhausted. My shoulders drops the tension. The panic. The fading adrenaline prickles my muscles. My knees have gashes and they're numb now. My palms the same. But these things are faint in the foreground of worries. There is only crystal clear visions of Jake. His face. The guns. The fear. He's gone. Laying cold on greens somewhere..

Life flashes before my eyes. But not mine. His. I just see him when he was young and carefree. His hair. His smile. And now nothing. Just emptiness. It's like I never knew him at all. I grieve for that smile and that boy, but not him. Not now. I want to hurt whoever changed that boy. But it doesn't matter anymore. It's too late. It's done.

My face and hands are washed enough. He's done and stands. No words. I limp to my feet. His arm finds the small of my back to keep me from falling again. And in that instant we collide. I look up and there they are. His eyes.

I shouldn't have looked. I knew better. Because now the worry changes. It's not about Jake or my sore wounds. His eyes are angry. And God do I know it. Of course he is. He looks away and I know it's bad. He doesn't even want to look at me. His jaw tightens. He starts to climb over the rocks we were sitting on.

My white knuckled fist is snatched off his coat. It burns. But like a magnet it latches on to him again. A mind of it's own. Because I can't let go. Not now. Not when everything that happened was mere seconds ago. I breath staggered because the mirage is walking away and probably will never looking back. But he stops. My fingers find his warm hand in a pleading hold. Fiercely. Like my life depends on it. Like it would keep the danger away. It has already.

He doesn't turn. I look at the back of his head. Waves of pleads from my eyes floating to him, hoping he'll let me. He starts to pull away. My heart sinks. I inhale sharply through my nose and please...not now. I look around me still on edge. My right hand finds his thumb as it retrieves. It slips away. I reach out again. Two hands this time.

His head jerks back. His brows knitted. He looks at me. Yes, pissed. But I'm not letting go. I make my point and step up on a rock beside him, indicating that we can walk now. I squeeze his hand and I'm standing my ground. Wherever he goes, I go. I stare in his dark eyes and tell him all this without a word.

He was warm just a second ago. Kind. His palm still damp as proof. But he's now as freezing as the drips of water still running down my face. His hand is limp, unresponsive. My chin quivers involuntarily. I look away before he sees. I shuffle my feet, suddenly uncomfortable under his piercing stare. He doesn't say a word. I wait...awkwardly, wiping the water from my cheek with my shoulder.