Chapter 53: Emma

I paced across the ballroom, earning scowls and dirty looks. People whispered around me. A princess and a pirate should not be together.  Emma is a disgrace to the royal family.

I couldn't care less.

Killian was back, we were in love, and I was absolutely happy.

I sat at my throne, and was soon accompanied by my parents but not Killian.

I looked at them, raising an eyebrow, but they only smiled in return.

Soon, Henry walked in, chatting away with Killian. My heart skipped a beat at seeing the two people I loved most.

Ignoring the people lining up for a final dance, I rushed over to the two of them.

Henry hugged me tightly. "You look beautiful, mom."

I grinned. "Thank you, Henry. You look amazing as well."

Henry gave a light laugh, and opened his mouth to say something, but Killian stepped in.

"Swan, I don't believe I got a chance to tell you how lovely you look this evening. I must say, though, seeing you in a dress was another pleasant surprise that I was not expecting."

I blushed. "Thanks. Still wearing the pirate get-up, I see."

He grinned. "Aye, devilishly handsome, as always."

I stared into his eyes for a moment. I began to lean into kiss him, but Henry coughed, breaking us apart.

"Well, um, as much as I'd love to stay, I think I'll go check up on Roland. He didn't have a dance partner. In fact, I don't even think he knows how to dance," he frowned. "Oh well." Henry ran off.

I chuckled a bit and turned to Killian who had been staring at me the whole time. "What?" I asked, another blush creeping onto my face.

"You're amazing, Swan. You know that, right?"

I smiled. In the past six months, no one had said anything that put the same feeling in me. I shrugged off the huge smile and relief that grew on my face. To tell the truth, I hadn't really been sure of myself for practically my whole life. Killian put a whole new strength in me, and I felt like I was really the person that i wanted to be. "Yeah, I've heard that a few times," I joked.

"Still headstrong, I see." He chuckled.

"Hey," I scowled jokingly, lightly hitting him on the shoulder.

He leaned in for a kiss that lit me on fire as soon as our lips met, but pulled away quickly to my disappointment.

"That's one of the things that I love about you," he whispered. Then, he cleared his throat. "May I have this dance, princess?" he bowed, kissing my hand, and grinning as he felt me shiver delightfully.

I nodded, giggling as he stood up straight, leading me toward the middle of the room. "Quite the gentleman, I see."

He grinned cheekily, "I'm always a gentleman, but you knew that already."

I laughed. "How could I forget?"

He led me gracefully out onto the dancefloor. He spun me, lead me perfectly, and I marveled at how smoothly he danced.

"Where did you learn to-" I began, but he finished for me.

"Dance like this?" Killian shrugged, "Well, being in the Navy teaches you a great many things. One of those being dancing. I went to a lot of the King's balls with my brother. Danced a lot."

I gasped in shock, "and you remember?"

"There are many things that not even Neverland can erase from memory," he replied with a sad and distant smile.

"Well, you're quite good at it."

He beamed, and I began to think this could possibly be the happiest I had ever seen him. True, he faked being happy before, many times, but I could tell that tonight, his joy was genuine.

"Thank you. You're pretty good yourself, for not having many lessons."

I didn't reply, only stared deeply into his eyes. I was finally home.

              X                 X                 X

The rest of the night went by in a blur. By the time the ball was over, and everyone left, it was around two-thirty at night. Who knew fairytale people had a thing for late night parties?

Killian walked me back to my room, one I had gotten soon after people's homes were repaired. We actually had time to remodel it from a nursery to an adult's room, although I myself was sad to see the nursery go.

Killian kissed me slowly, but passionately once we got into the room. "Goodnight, Swan," he said with a yawn.

He turned around, but I grabbed his hand. "Killian, you could, um, stay here," I said shyly.

He looked a bit surprised. "No, no-"

"Please," I silently begged him to stay. "I've spent enough time away from you, and as much as I don't want to say this, I don't think I could bear to part with you for even a few hours."

He bit his lip, but then gave me his trademark smirk that always made the butterflies in my stomach fly. "Well, if the lady insists."

I smiled, and quickly pulled out the many pins that held my tight bun together. Soon after, I collapsed on the bed, not bothering to change.

Killian laid next to me, wrapping his arms around me.

I laid my head on his chest, and looked up at him. "Killian, I have been meaning to ask you... Why did you leave? And be honest! No lies because you know I can see right through them."

He looked away shamefully, and didn't speak for a while. He turned his hook, and took it off, setting it on the nightstand next to him. Then, he took a deep breath, and spoke. "I—I was a coward. I was afraid of you not wanting me to be close to you because I saw you kiss Oz. I thought that I would get in the way of your budding romance, and that you would be mad at me. I don't know what got into me. I thought that finally I could be free of this—this curse that someone who I loved more than myself would be taken from me. It is the worst mistake I have ever made in my entire life, I'll have you know I don't regret anything more."

He frowned, but I was fighting a smile.

He looked at me, confused. "Swan?"

"I thought he was you."

Killian tilted his head. "Excuse me?"

"Oz when I—when I kissed him, I thought he was you."

Killian looked shocked, but realization spread across his handsome features. "You, what?Bloody hell, Emma, I am so sorry." He buried his face in my hair, but I tilted his lips to mine.

"Killian, it doesn't matter anymore. You're back, and that's what's important. Just promise me that you will never leave again."

He kissed me gently. "Oh, Emma, I promise." I closed my eyes, laying my head back down. I listened to his heart, the one that belonged to me. "I love you, Killian."

He sighed happily against my hair, and kissed the top of my head. "I will never get tired of hearing that. I love you too, my beautiful Emma."