Chapter Six

"Oh, for Merlin's sake Mutt... Must you have such a repugnant taste in decor?" Voldemort booted a plush lion into the corner, while grimacing at the garish golds and reds that covered Hara's nursery from top to bottom.

"Hara is the descendant of two of the most Gryffindor sorcerers to ever live. They were brave, true, and... "Sirius's voice cracks. " If she can't be raised by them, I'll act as the best substitute I can!"

"And you intend to make her the lights darling by blinding her with distasteful furnishings?" The Dark Lord's face distorted into one of displeasure. "By all means, continue Black... I'm sure she will be disenfranchised with you lot as a whole by the time she's four. Maybe I can give her the dark mark earlier. She might even ask for it." His voice held an amused lilt, and the raise of his sculpted brow added to the annoyance pulsing the Sirius's veins.

"Oh please, do give me more parenting advice Lord Voldemort. Maybe if I sent the killing curse hurtling towards her I may understand her more!" The grim animagus spat. Pushing down the fear of not being able to do right by Hara. To not be able to even come close to be filling the shoes of Lily and James.

"Manners mutt..." There was a flash of white, and Sirius was staring down the tip of the Dark Lords bone white Yew wand.

"Dadda! Dadda!!!"

Voldemort heard Hara running down the hallway, sounding upset and angry, while heavier footsteps trailed after her.

"Hara! Cub! Come back here! I said I'm sorry... you can have him back after you finish your meal darling..." Lupin was pleading with the toddler.

The outraged little one-and-a-half year old pushed her nursery door open the rest of the way and ran into Voldemort's leg.

"Dadda! Want sghetti! Moony took!" Hara looked up at Voldemort an angry but pleading look, while Remus and Sirius grimaced at hearing Hara call her father's murderer dad.

"You took her lunch, wolf? If you're hungry, I believe I have some prisoners in the dungeon you can devour." Voldemort levitated Hara into his arms.

"Of bloody course not! Why would I take my goddaughters food? She wants that thrice damned snake! I explained to her that she has to eat her meal first!" Lupin said, running his hand through his hair and putting his hands on his hips while staring at Hara giving him an appraising look while in Voldemort's arms.

Sirius picked up the lion plushy that the Dark Lord has kicked just moments ago and presented it to Hara. Hoping that she would take this as a middle ground. But to no avail. The little girl ignored the lion and grabbed Lord Blacks face between both her hands.

"No pafoot. Not lion, sghetti!" She said slowly. Trying to enunciate it as clearly as a one year old could.

Voldemort disguised a laugh as a cough. "Even your goddaughter thinks your slow, mutt..."

Even Lupin couldn't hold back a snort of laughter.

"Little one. You must eat. I will not allow you to grow weak. Now why will you not eat your food?" Voldemort held Hara at a distance so he could look into her eyes.

"Can't Dadda... It's sghetti... bwood! No eat sghettis!" Her bottom lip quivered. Images of her little snake draped around her shoulder as she sat in her high chair passed through Voldemort's mind. Hara picked up a noodle with marinara sauce out of her bowl and looked at "Sghetti" and immediately dropped it and shrieked.

Voldemort pinched the bridge of his nose and exhaled. "How is it possible that you two are so incredibly moronic?" He summoned the pet snake from Remus's hand. "Tilli!" The Dark Lord called.