15

Cameron and Phillip went outside, and Evan went out with them to chaperone. Connor wanted to go too, but the three insisted that he needed sleep from keeping the night watch for three nights in a row.

Michael decided, with the time he now has, that he'd go and talk to Jeremy about some stuff. He knocked on the boy's bedroom door, entering when he heard a soft "Come in."

Jeremy looked up from his notebook, a well-bitten pen between his teeth. He smiled and set the pen down. "Hey."

Michael smiled back. "Hey. What are you doing?" He shut the door and walked over, sitting on the bed next to him.

Jeremy looked at the notebook. "Planning shit. Checking our rations, figuring out the night shift, stuff like that."

Michael nodded in understanding. "How you holding up?"

"Fine. Better, now that you and Cameron are here."

Michael nodded. "You really like her?"

"Yeah, dude. I love that kid. She's really mature for her age."

"I know. I can't even imagine the kind of shit she's been through. She was worried that you wouldn't like her, you know."

"Why? Everyone loves her, she's great."

"Yeah..." Michael stared down at the paper, both of them quietly studying it. A thought occurred to him, and he looked at Jeremy again. "Hey, Jer?"

"Yeah, Mike?"

"Um... So, last week... In the bathroom..."

"Uh-huh?"

"I mean... Well, it got me thinking."

"About?" Jeremy wrote something down.

"Well... What are we?"

He paused his writing mid-word. "What do you mean?"

"What are we? Like, are we still best friends? Or is it... I dunno."

"Like... I mean, did you... Do you want to be... I dunno, more?"

"Kind of...?"

"I mean... Oh my fucking god, okay." He closed the notebook and threw it aside, adjusting to look directly at Michael. Michael tensed up, unsure of what was going on.

Jeremy looked I'm in the eyes. "Michael, I like you. A lot. Would it be crazy if I asked you to be my boyfriend?"

Michael paused. "Uh... No, no it wouldn't."

"Okay. Will you be my boyfriend?"

"Yes. Yes! Yeah!" Michael smiled awkwardly. Jeremy laughed and kissed him quickly. They sat there giggling for a bit.

Then, Evan burst through the door. "Michael!"

Michael turned, and him and Jeremy stood up. "What? What's wrong?"

Evan looked worried, and even a bit scared. "I-- C-Cameron, she--"

"What happened?!"

"Cameron fell out of a tree!" Evan yelled, trying to get it out before he started stuttering again.

"What?!" Michael yelled and pushed past him, running down the stairs and out of the lodge. Jeremy and Evan followed, along with almost everyone else.

Cameron was lying on the ground, curled up and shaking. Phillip was on his knees next to her, desperately trying to get her to talk.

Michael ran over and fell to his knees. "Cameron!" He gently turned her over, almost recoiling when she winced. She was crying. Michael had only ever seen her crying once, when they first met. Seeing it again was terrifying.

"Oh, my god, Cammy. Honey, what happened?" Michael picked her up and noticed that she was holding her arm. Blood was sleeping through her shirt on her shoulder.

Phillip tried to explain. "We-- We were climbing the trees, a-and she lost grip, and--"

Cameron leaned against Michael. "Mm... It-- It hurts..."

Michael nodded. "I know, baby."

"D-daddy... It hurts..." Cameron whimpered, and Michael faltered for a moment, feeling like he'd cry. Out of happiness or worry, he wasn't sure.

He stood up with her in his arms, and Jeremy ran over. "Michael, what happened?"

"I-I don't know, I think her arm's broken. Who's the most medically experienced?"

"Um... Eliza, I think."

Michael nodded and turned to the group. He walked over to Eliza. "How much do you know about medicine?"

Eliza looked at Cameron and frowned with worry. "Enough. I think. Give her here." She held out her arms, and Michael handed her over. Everyone made a path as Eliza walked inside and went into the room that they'd turned into a sort of medical wing.

Michael ran a hand through his hair. Jeremy walked over to him. "She'll be okay."

Michael nodded. Nobody else said anything.

~*~*~*~
Michael paced outside of the med wing for hours. Evan and Phillip both apologized profusely, but he insisted that it was okay. After what felt like forever, Eliza opened the door and invited him in.

He walked in and saw Cameron sitting up on the bed. She looked at him, and he smiled, but she didn't smile back. Eliza explained that her arms was indeed broken, and the wound on her shoulder opened back up.

"I was able to patch up her wound, but... Without proper equipment and supplies, there isn't much I can do about her arm."

Michael nodded. "Okay. Write a list of what you need. We're gonna find it."

"But, Michael, you cant--"

"Eliza. Please. Just do it." Michael pleaded, and Eliza nodded.

"Okay. You have to be quick."

"We will." He nodded and walked over to Cameron.

"Hey, baby, how you doin'?" He tried to lighten the mood a bit. Cameron looked at him sadly.

"I can't feel my arm... I'm sorry that I fell..."

"Oh, don't be sorry. It's okay. We're gonna fix this, alright?"

She nodded. "Oh, and... I'm sorry... That I called you dad again..."

"Why're you sorry?"

"Cuz I didn't ask first. And I'm not really your daughter."

"Well... Do you wanna be?"

She looked down and nodded. Michael smiled and ruffled her hair. "Then you are. I gotta go do something. I'll be back soon, okay?"

She smiled a bit. "Mkay, dad."

Michael practically beamed and kissed her head before walking out. He went into the main foyer, where everyone was waiting worriedly.

"Hey, guys?" They all looked up at Michael. "I need some volunteers."