6.

Dancing in the rain – I missed it

Dancing in the rain – I missed it. I had missed the feeling of exultation I would feel, when drops of rain would ran down my body, whenever I would jump in the puddle.

Puddle used to be of mud, but for me, it used to be a smooth, tasteless chocolate. I would love the color of mud, which would color my white shoes. Really, I would love to hear the rhythmic voice of rain. I would enjoy the multiplication of my happiness.

But after mama’s death, everything was merged under a deep shade. Nothing excited me. Whenever I would see the mud and memorise my enjoyment in the rain, a hollow emptiness would scare me. There was no assurance that mama would be there for me to dry my hair and give me medicine when I would fall sick, when I would come back home.

My happiness must have gone with mama. The thing with which I was living was just an emptiness, in which I had nothing to express or tell.

But then, when Rick offered me a rain dance, I found a bursting energy in my body. I felt a strong desire of placing my hand on his and swing with him with a soft breeze of rain.

My hand in his, our bodies touching each other – how would be that feeling; I had no words to say. I had read in books and seen in movies about the experience of spending time with their crushes in the rain, but had not experienced in reality.

Deep in my teenage heart, I had a desire to experience that feeling, but as I had not found anyone to dance with, I had not had that experience.

My cheeks burned with playful warmth. I could not hide my blush as I pictured me and Rick in each other’s arm, dancing in the rain. Sigh of nervousness, excitement and, of course, happiness escaped my lips. My chest rose and stomach churned with the thought of Rick kissing my lips.

Oh god, what am I thinking

“Are you not ready?” Rick’s voice pulled me out from my fantasies.

Playing with my fingers, I nibbled my bottom lip, getting jittery over my words.

“Um I_ actually um...” Words got block in my throat. “...I would catch cold.”

As if catching my lie, Rick hide his smile, lowering his head and scratching bridge of his nose.

“It’s an excuse, isn’t it?”

So, he had caught my lie. It was truth I would catch cold when I would dance in the rain, but right then, my fear wasn’t that. In the situation, I was on pins and needles, where I was not sure of my jumping heart.

In school, I had crush on one boy – of course, the boy was not sweet as Rick – and he had asked me for a dance on the prom night. I should have jumped on that lovely opportunity, but, as usual, my antsy feelings spoiled everything. Without thinking anything I’d rejected boy’s offer and then had a loud cry over it.