Ch 44: What this house holds

Anya's POV

  The afternoon light peeked from the bathroom windows as I ran another stroke with the brush down my hair.. I seemed to had drifted out while staring in the mirror, somewhat analyzing my own reflection that had some kind of a different spark to it.. I tried studying myself, tried reading my own eyes whether it was exhaustion or perhaps worry that made me seem different..

  It was neither. No, I wasn't even tired, let alone exhausted and at that point in my life I didn't have a reason to worry. I did, actually, of course I did, it wouldn't be my life if everything was in place and peaceful. But those worries were small, and they came and went at the late hours when I couldn't sleep and accidentally allowed myself to drown in my own anxious thoughts.

  It was the sight of him, Ash, that calmed my deepest concerns.. At those late hours, I laid beside him, and even the darkest thoughts that dared to haunt my mind disappeared at the simple sight of him. His simple presence gave me peace, his warmth and scent calmed my soul, soothed me in ways that even dared a smile on my face..

  All all that was needed was a glance at him, a simple feel of him near.. And even when that insomnia hit, I didn't allow those heavy thoughts to press down my chest, and so they weren't the reason for my sleeplessness.. Perhaps it was him, the thought of him, of what he meant to me, that made me lay awake for hours..

  To think that I once feared commitment seemed foolish to me now. I had fallen for him— to be cliche and say that I was even head over heels for him— perhaps to the point of no return. I laid beside him and observed every little feature of his, analyzed and studied him whenever I had the chance to.. I suppose it was more the fact that I wanted to figure out myself than it was to analyze him.. To figure out what it was that made me so insatiable of him..

  And where was I to start? Start explaining what turned me into a slave of this emotion of love.. His physique? Of course, that too. Ash was a tall man, a large one, of broad shoulders and solid muscle. Everything about him was dark and dangerous, cold and intimidating, and it was what irritated me the most when I first met him.. His confident posture and the arrogance in his words.

  But then I learned there was so much more in him than a businessman and a man of grief.. So much more to him than the handsome boss that had every woman flatter her lashes and giggle in his presence. He payed little attention to many, to most actually, but to those he did, he gave them his all. And I became one of them.. One of the few people in his life that he allowed see his very soul. The only one, if not.

  A slight knock on the doorframe took my attention.. The water was still running and filling the bathtub, muting his knock, but I heard it clearly and glanced towards the door just to see him leaned against the doorframe while he silently observed my actions. A smile curled my lips and I wasn't even aware of it.

  "Need help with that?" His deep tone filled the marble bathroom in a way that gave me tingles straight through my stomach.. What a voice that was, having the power to effect me so immediately the way it did..

  And I realized I wasn't exactly getting the very back of my hair while I brushed the front strands.. It had gotten long with time, but there simply had been too much going on for me to really pay attention to my hair.. Especially in the previous few days.

  "Yes, please,"

And with that said, he crossed the space between us and approached me, taking the brush I handed him and preformed a slow stroke down my hair.. It seemed impossible to hide the smile that stretched my lips..

  "It's these little things I love most about you." I found myself say, perhaps barely even conscious of my own words..

And there was much more to say, much more to confess.. I just feared that if I started confessing, I wouldn't be able to find my limit to stop. Especially when I felt the warmth of his breath somewhere near my shoulder.. It blurred my mind instantly.