Part Five

We set off in carriage to Penzance, at the far south of Cornwall. The journey is long and tiring. The whole while I take in the fresh, clean air of the desolate moors and countryside paths, so wonderfully contrasting to the thick smoggy air of Victorian Trost.

I feel much cleaner after bathing back at Trost Castle, or the so called 'manor'. My stomach is pleased at the food it has eaten, filled with Erwin's good cooking. I feel better, much better, lightweight in the air of the moors. The breeze feels cool against my skin though I feel warm inside.

I'm a bottle of anticipation. A firework about to set off. Something inside me feels so different and I know, deep down, that it's to do with Marco. I can't tell, but I hope to god that it's good.

Erwin spends the journey talking mindlessly about his work as a solicitor, about how the manor in Trost belonged to some old acquaintances named Farlan and Isobel, but they not long ago passed away. He had to go through their old documents.

He had been there for nearly a month, and so is thankful that he finally can return home to his...children and house. He tells me that the children will love me, and that we'll make a wonderful family. He tells me he'll raise me well.

It's almost exactly on the hour of 7 when we arrive in Penzance, the horse trotting calmly down the stony path leading up to Erwin's ivy ridden house. It's much more beautiful than Trost Castle, much more scenic, much more pleasant. I wonder how on earth Erwin can afford this when he is only a solicitor. Inheritance? He had said his parents died after all.

The windows glow with a warm orange, lighting the floors and the gravel below them. There is a glorious smell emitting every gap in the houses' structure of fresh tomato soup, almost identical to the soup Marco likes a lot. I miss him already; it's usually weeks, months, even years after I'm reborn that we finally meet.

We take the horses and the carriage to the barn just to the side of the house, stroking the horses gently on the face as if they can understand our gratitude towards them for bringing us on a long journey.

When we finally make it to the houses entrance, the door is wide open and two people, around my age, are stood waiting with grins on their faces.

One of them, the man, is fairly tall (though shorter than me), light brown hair covering his head – unruly but trimmed short and smart. He is wearing a simple dress shirt with a bow tie and braces, long grey trousers on his legs. He smiles effortlessly, hugging his father before the girl beside him can.

"Welcome back, Father." He says enthusiastically, "We have missed you very much."

Ah, this must be Erwin's 'son'.

The boy clings onto Erwin for a rather long while, like he's trying to prove a point to someone.

"Thomas, dear," Erwin replies with a soft smile, "It's good to see you again too, but let me see Mina too."

With a nod and a hiss, Thomas steps away from in front of the girl, Mina, whose hair is in two simple braids and dressed in a washed out red coloured dress, buttoned up to the collar. She is very beautiful.

"Father!" She squeals, earning a pissed look from Thomas - which she doesn't see, neither does Erwin. Maybe they don't like each other? "How was your trip? I bet you're tired. Oh and hungry! Don't worry, Levi and I have been cooking some wonderful soup-"

"Mina," Thomas snaps, "Hush now, Father probably wants to come inside from the cold."

Victorian guys suck, seriously. Mina looks a bit frightened, and backs off with a small nod.

"Now now, Thomas. Mina, I would love to hear more about dinner in just a moment," Erwin smiles (again), "However, I have someone else I'd like to introduce."