Part Six

"So Jean," Mina grins after a mouthful of Levi's tomato soup, "How old are you?"

I gulp a spoon of my own, trying to look as though I'm not constantly staring at Marco over the dinner table. He looks very isolated from the rest of us, I can't fathom why, "I'm 14, probably."

Erwin and Mina both chuckle, thinking I'm joking about the 'probably'. I actually do have no idea; I have to guess, you see.

"Well you're the youngest then!" She grins, "Marco is fifteen, Thomas is nearly 17, and you won't believe it but I'll be turning 18 very soon."

I almost choke on my soup, "You're nearly eighteen."

"She's quite small, isn't she?" Erwin smiles softly, "Delicate as a snowflake, I can't bare the thought that she might be married off soon."

"She doesn't have to get married, Erwin." Levi butts in with a face as if he's swallowed cow-pat.

"I know I know, but there are many men who have fallen for her already...and she and Samuel are so very close." He replies.

"Do you love any of them?" I ask Mina between a mouthful of bread – delicious bread might I add.

"Only one, Samuel, but he is just a dear friend, and I-"

"I'm finished." Thomas interrupts, his tone harsh and his pitch low with a scowling face and pushes himself from the table; his feet can still be heard as they storm up the stairs like thunder.

"A damned thank you would suffice, a rabid donkey would have better manners." Levi hisses. I can't help but laugh, though it's a small chuckle.

Mina looks at me with wide eyes and ends up laughing too – and I find my giggles getting louder. Erwin stops holding his laugher in and it bellows through the room. Even Levi smiles!

Marco...well, he looks like he wants to laugh, but is stopping himself forcefully. I try not to place a hand on his shoulder to help him loosen up a bit.

From the corner of my eye I spot a newspaper next to Erwin. I find myself leaning forward to get it, he lets me take in and bring it over to where I'm sat.

My eyes search frantically over the boring black ink printed against the paper until I spot what I'm looking for, a date!

"November 26, 1886!" I grin as if I have been blessed, "1886, good god."

"That would be the date, son," Erwin is still laughing a little, "Not been keeping track of time?"

I shake my head frantically at him, "No, I had no idea."

"Well, now you know," He smiles as if to reassure me of something, "You can keep the paper, if you'd like to read it. There are many books in the room next to the living room too, it's our library. I'm sure there are some in your room too, Marco likes to read them."

I turn to Marco, though he averts his eyes, his cheeks turning a light pink. Eventually, I look back at Erwin, "Thank you, again, thank you so much." I don't usually thank people and mean it, but I can't help being grateful to Erwin, he's such a good man in such a harsh world. Just like Marco. They're both too special.

I end up thanking Levi too before leaving the table; he's the last person I want to hate me. He seems happy at my gratitude, even if my inference comes from the small nod he offers me in response. It was sincere enough.

Mina helps Levi clear away the dishes while Erwin heads of into his office. They seem rather close, actually. I scope the dining room for Marco, however somehow he has just disappeared. I don't bother finding him; he was acting off a little anyway.