zero

ashton climbed over the high railing, and smiled warmly at those who nodded towards him. one hand shoved in the pocket of his skinny jeans, he walked over to the brunette haired girl, sat far away from the crowded library.

"i got you the ice cream you wanted," he greeted, and slipped in the chair beside her.

she nodded and thanked him, grasping on the cone.

"hm, this isn't chocolate."

"shut up; i had to walk the whole block for that."

"cather."

she looked up after what seemed like hours to face ashton, a grin on his face, and a finger pointing down to a hardbound book, the all-too-familiar cartoon on the cover.

"i've finished reading that, no need to get excited." she mumbled lazily, letting her eyes avert back to the printed words.

his arms slumped, setting the book aside and lifting a random book from her mountain-tall stacks. his eyes skimmed over the golden engraved words, flipping it open. he leaned his back against the chair, his head hung low as he let himself get lost in the words.

she felt herself jerk forward when her chair was bumped, and in a blink of an eye she stood up to face the guilty.

"hey, blondie, have you ever thought of going the other way?" she fumed, her finger pointed near face.

his sky like eyes widened, shaking his head and turned around from her, walking away quickly.

"dumbass."

ashton held her back, his hands going around over her hips which made her yelp, earning a glare from most people.

"cather, don't. it's not his fault," he explained, leading her back to their seats.

she quirked her eyebrow up, anger still present in her features.

"you're defending him? he didn't even say sorry."

"no, he's a bit blind. he can't see where he goes sometimes."

she shook her head, her lips folding to thin line.

"who is he? he looks like he's worried."

ashton shrugged, adjusting the blue bandana that pulled his wild, dirty blonde curls back. he reached for the book he was reading, setting it down on his lap.

"that's luke hemmings. he only speaks when you spark something in him."

her head turned in the direction he ran off to, after then seeing styled hair around the corner, but dipped down. she assumed he was reading.

"he's mute?"

ashton shook his head, fishing his phone out. his fingers tapped the screen multiple times, then showing her what he meant.

"not mute, just silent. he's pretty famous around here, i don't know why you don't know him. he's not famous in the good kind, though."

catherine's eyebrows knotted together, squirming her eyes to read the jumbled words. her eyes trailed across the words, like sweeping the leaves off the green grass.

"what does it mean, 'mental problems'?

he locked his phone, setting his elbow on the table.

"a rough past, i mean."

she nodded, leaning back into her chair, eyebrows furrowed.

"i should probably say sorry to him."

"don't."

"don't?"

"don't."