Chapter 3 - Memories

After the deviant self-destructed itself, I decided it was time to leave the police station. I exited the interrogation room without saying a word. I remember Hank saying some curse words as the officers dragged the unmoving, bloody form of the android.

Connor walked to the office area to see me packing my files. He gave me a calculated glare. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks. My body started to heat up when his stare started to intensify. I let out a nervous cough to release the tension I was feeling.

"Staring at people is weird, Connor. Do they not program that lesson in androids at CyberLife?" I put my bag on my shoulder and started walking to the door.

"Where are you going [Y/N]?" He asked right when I was going to open the door of the entrance to leave.

I stopped and turned around, "what do you think? Home."

Connor stared at me with those brown doe eyes.

"Stay." His voice seemed so sincere. "You seem not well, [Y/N]. Hank and I are going to go to a burger shack. Hank recommended that it would be the best to take you along, just in case if he needed extra cash." I bit my lower lip and looked down to the floor. I was torn between crying and laughing. I wanted to laugh at the fact that Hank wanted to take me along because he doesn't know if have enough money for his burger.

Spending time with Hank and Connor is tempting, but at the same time I just want to crawl in bed and hide from the world.

I lifted my head to see Connor's puppy dog eyes, "but what do you want?"

Connor tilted his head in confusion, "I don't understand what you are hinting at."

"Do you want me to go." Instantly I regretted my words after they left my lips. Why do I care about what he thinks?

"Yes. I think the investigation would be efficient if I learn more about you, [Y/N]. Would you like accompany us?"

I let out a chuckle, "You could've fooled me. It almost sounds like you actually care, Connor."

And I left.

••

When I got to my apartment, I took a beer out of my fridge. I placed the tip of it on the kitchen counter and pulled the beer glass down; the cap of the beer came off. "Hello, my name is Connor and I'm an android." I mimicked Connor's voice by deepening my voice.

I squinted my eyes. "That is not how he sounds [Y/N]." Connor and his stupid puppy dog eyes got me bewitched. I gripped the edge of my kitchen counter. My knuckles turned pale. "Why did CyberLife have to send an attractive machine to the investigation?"

I let go of the counter and let out a loud sigh.

I took a sip of my beer and started to dance around my kitchen. I swayed my hips, twirled around, and imagine I was a teenager again who is dancing around in their messy bedroom.

I woke up an hour later on my couch with a killer headache. I got up too quickly and I got dizzy.

My body hit the bookshelf near my television screen and I knocked down the books off of my shelf. The books scattered all over the floor including a picture. I sank to the floor with my hands on my knees. I looked at the picture to see my Dad carrying me on his shoulders; he was smiling, his hair was messy, and he had his police officer uniform on. The picture was taken months before his murder.

"Today, I investigated a homicide case. There was a man who died and he reminded me of you Dad," I started to say as I looked at the broken frame, "— the man died from stabs wounds. Huh. The same way like how you died. It took me back on the day when you died."

My vision started to blur, tears started to fall freely, I buried my face in my knees.

"Detective?" I heard a voice say. I look up to see Connor.

I roughly wiped my tears. "This is no pity show, plastic boy." I angrily got up, Connor instinctively stepped back. "How did get in?"

"Your door was open. You should remind yourself to lock it, Detective [L/N], there are a lot dangerous people."

I growled and walked up to his face, "And you are an unwanted intruder. Get out!"

Connor didn't move and I saw red. "I said get out!" I punched his face.

He didn't flinch. I cradled my fist in my hand. I let out a hiss from the painful growing sensation.My entire fist burned. I look at my hands to see my reddening fist.

"Let me see your hand, [Y/N]." He went to grab my arm but I pushed him back.

"Stop acting like you care about my well-being! The only thing you care about is completing your mission."

Connor's LED flashed yellow and he stayed quiet. That was my confirmation.

"Just leave, Connor"

"I know more about you than you think, [Y/N]. I know that your father was murdered when you were eleven. I know you vowed to be part of the police force to honor your father's memory. I know finding his body still haunts you till this day."

A single tear fell down my cheek, "how did you know that?"

"Because I thought it was important to learn mmore about you." He stepped forward and grabbed my injured hand. "Let me take care of you, Detective."

And I let him. I let him in my life.