Chapter 4

...and will be the hardest battle I will ever fight...

~3rd Person POV~
"Let light itself rain down upon all beings who need it! Heavenly light!" A bright glow.

Soon, there stood Mavis, looking the same as she always did.

"Ah! I haven't seen you people in ages. Hello!" The cheery girl waved, a bright smile on her face.

The other four waved back.

"So, why am I here?" The blonde girl asked.

"We need you to talk to Natsu about... his family, if possible." Wendy murmured.

Mavis gasped.

"What for?" She questioned.

"As you know, Lucy passed away recently. Natsu's torn, and we wanna help him." Levy spoke, a sad yet hopeful 'aye' coming from the blue cat flying behind her.

Mavis smiled.

"Say no more, I know just what to do." She grinned and clapped happily, dashing off to find the salmon-haired man. The other four trailed behind her.

"Natsu!" Said man turned around at the sound of his name.

"Master Mavis? What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I heard you needed some help, so here I am!" She did a small twirl, laughing.

Natsu smiled.

"Can you tell me about Zeref and my family?" He asked, looking down in slight shame and embarrassment.

"Of course, it'll make you feel better, no?" She smiled, Natsu returning it.

Mavis sat down, and pat the spot next to her, gesturing for Natsu to sit next to her.

Natsu obediently did so, shaking. He was partially worried, partially excited.

Mavis smiled once more and summoned what seemed to be a glowing glass ball. With a couple hand movements, an image appeared, seeming lifelike and realistic within the small orb.

"It started a few years after you were born. Your town was attacked by dragons, back then they still existed." Mavis said, and the image in the orb changed.

"Zeref was the only one that survived, and he studied the magic of life and death to resurrect you." Mavis said and flashed Natsu a sad smile after hearing rustles next to her.

Natsu had shifted around in discomfort.

"He was cursed by the god of said magic, and he became immortal. He hated this fact, he wanted to die like a normal person." The image changed again.

"And so he recreated you as a demon, E.N.D, Etherious Natsu Dragneel." She said. The orb glowed even brighter than before, slowly morphing into some sort of containment chamber, one similar to the one Mavis' body was kept in.

The glass lit up, and inside the chamber a younger version of Natsu could be seen, floating without life.

"He made you to kill him, so that he could see your parents again." Mavis continued, Natsu staring at the chamber in awe. The chamber morphed once again into the orb.

"He then let you go after deciding he couldn't take care of you. He left you in Igneel's care, and Igneel raised you from then on." She said.

"He was only a dragon, but he did his best in raising you because he loved and cared for you." Mavis said sadly.

"You being reborn is one reason as to why you can't remember anything about your parents no matter how hard you try, because that you is different from the you that's right here today, you're two different people." Mavis said.

"So... that's why I would have died if Zeref died?" Natsu asked.

Mavis nodded.

"You would've, but Lucy saved your life by rewriting your book, your code. She made you a human." Mavis looked to the side in despair.

"She truly loved you, Natsu. And I'm sure that wherever she is now, she still does." Mavis muttered, turning around and giving Natsu a soft hug.

"Stay strong, Natsu. Lucy would want that." Mavis pulled away, tears staining Natsu's and her cheeks.

"If you can't do it for yourself or Fairy Tail, then live for Lucy." Mavis smiled at Natsu once more before glowing and fading away, her job being done.