Chapter Twenty

No

No.

Just no.

That's a bad idea.

A terrible idea.

Nothing good would come of it.

Bad Sang.

Don't ever think such things again.

I berate myself for my idea that I thought was genius. It was a genius idea. Except everything about it is wrong. In fact, I am done even thinking about it. Forever.

I straighten up and adopt another perfect, and perfectly vacant, smile. Walking down to the library, I ignore them. The people in the halls who stare. Who whisper about me. Who sigh with a shake of their head, probably disappointed that I am alive. Who laugh and point.

"I don't care how beautiful you or anyone thinks you are," A man announces with a glare, striding up to me. "You are nothing except a disgusting slut."

A few in the hall shake their heads no, probably because I am more than just a disgusting slut. I am a disgusting monster.

I stare at him, unblinking, unfeeling, and unresponsive. I have thought worse things about myself than he can ever say to me. His words mean nothing to me.

Seeing that he is done speaking, I sidestep him and continue on to the library to meet Trey. Once I get to the old door, I push it open and see Trey slumped over a stack of books.

"Ah, sweetheart, nice to see you today," Trey greets me happily, sitting up and passing me a book. "You certainly are a sight for sore eyes."

"And your fluorescent orange hair certainly causes sore eyes, Porter" I reply smoothly, sitting down across from him.

Trey laughs and we begin our lesson.

When we are done, I ask hesitantly and carefully, "Hypothetically, if someone had some pets, what would they do with them?"

Furrowing his brow, Trey asks, "A pet? Like a dog?"

"Exactly!"

"Well, you would spend time with them. Take care of them. Love them," A confused Trey explains.

I nod, mulling that over.

Spend time with them?

Simple enough.

Take care of them?

Shouldn't be too hard.

Love them?

I have absolutely no clue.

Pasting on a smile, I say, "Thank you, Trey. See you again soon."

I stand and adjust my dress, I stand and make my way to the exit, briefly admiring the amazing view from the large windows.

The last thing I hear as I exit the library is a muttered, "It won't be soon enough."

***

Moans and shouting greet me as I open the door to the dungeon. Curiously, I enter the room and look around. Inside, North is yelling at Luke from his cell. Luke is holding his stomach and moaning, a sound that gives me goosebumps.

"Well, what a greeting," I say monotonously, announcing my presence.

"Sang!" Sean yells first, being the closest to me.

The others chime in with greetings and I do my best not to feel pleased that they are excited to see me.

"Hello, all of you," I call. "I trust you are all doing well and being treated well."

"Yes, thank you," Owen says in response.

"Yo, Owen, what is wrong with Luke?" I ask, jerking a thumb toward his crumpled up form.

Sean starts laughing, immediately followed by Nathan, Corey, Raven, and Silas. Kota begins to quietly count by multiples of thirty-two. North opens his mouth and closes it and opens it and closes it. The others are just standing there gawking. Owen's eye is twitching and he is trying to fix a tie that is not there as his face turns red.

"Did I do something?" I question with a tilt of my head.

Their laughter, staring, and counting somehow increases.

Axel takes pity on me and explains, "Not do, say. You certainly said something. No one calls Mr. Blackbourne by his first name, and no one has ever, ever, ever greeted him with a 'yo' for as long as I have ever known him."

I blink.

"Oh. I thought he was uncomfortable with my formal speech," I say, although I was clearly wrong. But just because no one calls him Owen doesn't mean I can't. After all, I am no one. Plus, who calls their pet Mr. Blackbourne?

This causes them all to start laughing, even Luke, although his is a painful chuckle.

Impatiently, I continue, "Clearly I was wrong. Now, someone answer my question. What is wrong with Luke?"

"How was Luke when you spoke with him?" Sean asks me slowly.

"Happy, energetic, nice, slightly childish," I answer, remembering our brief conversation.

"Slightly?" North cries as Luke yells at me, "That's just mean, Sang!"

Gabriel yells, "I knew Meanie was the perfect nickname for her!"

"Shut up Trouble!" I yell back at him. "I'm talking to Pookie about Cupcake!"

"WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?!"

"Wait?! My nickname is Pookie?!"

"What's my nickname?!"

"Y'all better shut up before we overwhelm Sang!"

Blinking, I announce, "Yes, Sean, your name is Pookie. You are like a little chihuahua that is always yapping about my health and other weird things. Not all of you have nicknames yet, sorry."

"Do I have one?!"

"What's mine?!"

"I already know my nickname, suckers," Gabriel declares smugly.

"I have the best one," Silas smirks.

"Do tell, Sang," Owen says with a small smile. "What are the nicknames for us?"

I sigh, "Axel is Pocahontas, Nathan is Peanut, Sean is Pookie, Silas is Aggele Mou, Victor is Princess, Gabriel is Trouble, and Luke is Cupcake."

"Explain the names!" Raven demands in Russian.

"Why did you choose those names?" Corey asks.

"Same," Raven grunts out.

"Well, Axel is the reincarnation of Pocahontas, obviously," I say staring at the handsome man who replies, "Only if you are the reincarnation of Rapunzel."

I smile at him slightly and continue, "Nathan is certainly salty like peanuts are—"

"Did you just call me salty?!" Nathan interrupts.

I glare at him, making him pale and shiver a little before spitting, "Yes. And don't interrupt me. Silas is like an angel, innocent and slightly naive, I was teasing Victor, Gabriel is all sorts of Trouble, and Luke is sweet like a cupcake."

Luke and Gabriel both yell simultaneously, "You bet I am!"

Sitting down, I exclaim, "Will someone explain what is wrong with Luke now?!"