Chapter 8: Betrayal

When Jason arrived at the office, he was surprised to see that everything had gone back to normal in the short time since he had left. The secretary was back, nothing was damaged, and the guards were gone, as was Mikayla's dead body.

“I see everything's back to the way it was,” Jason said as he greeted Nick.

“Yes,” Nick said. “Word spreads quickly, after all.”

“True,” Jason replied.

“I must say, I'm glad that you saved my life, Jason,” Nick said. “The Council would have to be fools not to make you a Jedi Knight now.”

Jason merely looked down, not wanting to look Nick in the eyes.

“They didn't, did they?” Nick asked.

“That's why I want to talk to you,” Jason said. “My anger caused them to negate their decision to make me a Jedi Knight.”

“Jason,” Nick said, “as long as I've known you, you've wanted much more than what the Jedi restricts you to be. You want power, fame, love, adoration, and wanting those things is frowned upon by the Jedi.”

“What's your point?” Jason asked.

“My point is that you should seek out other pathways than the narrow one of the Jedi,” Nick said. “Seek out greater things for yourself. Don't just settle for being a Jedi.”

“I don't know,” Jason said. “I don't think it's wise to let my Force powers go to waste.”

“You can still use the Force and not be a Jedi, Jason,” Nick said.

“Yes, but then I'd be considered a rouge or a Dark Jedi,” Jason said, “and I'd be on the verge of becoming a Sith Lord.”

“You know, Jason,” Nick said, “from what I've heard, the Jedi and the Sith are not so unlike each other.”

“What do you mean?” Jason asked.

“The Jedi and the Sith are similar in almost every way,” Nick said.

“How so?” Jason asked, intrigued.

“Well, as you know, both are proficient users of the Force,” Nick answered, “and both use lightsabers, as well. Both have a quest for greater power, though the Jedi claim to want power in order to help others.”

“The Jedi do want power to help others,” Jason said.

“Including yourself?” Nick asked.

This struck Jason. It really made him think about why he wanted power.

“Well, yes and no,” Jason answered. “I do want to help others, but I guess I want power for myself as well.”

“You see,” Nick said, “there's the similarity in the quest for power. Every Jedi has that mindset, though they try to hide it.”

“Paul doesn't,” Jason said. “Paul is completely selfless. As long as I've known him, he has always put everything he has into helping me. That just doesn't sound like him.”

“In any case,” Nick said, “being a Sith, from what I've heard, isn't such a bad thing. The abilities that the Sith have the potential of learning are extraordinary. And it's all because they know the secret of the Force.”

“What secret?” Jason asked.

“As an old Sith Lord once said,” Nick answered, “'If one is to understand the great mystery, one must embrace...a larger view of the Force. If you want to become a complete and wise leader, you must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the Jedi.'”