wolf growing beneath the skin

he has been spending more and more time on the mountains now. and each time he'd ask you to occupy him. he'd be gone for long periods of time. He'd spend hours on end in these mountains. not that you're complaining. it was sad. he cared for the animals of the mountains like any noble guardian. of course, when he return home, he'd get an earful from human hana. You understood her. he was 10. and from what you understand is that 10 was young in human years.. but in wolf years... he was your age. Young adult. one day, sensei... was badly injured. the poor fox wasn't gonna make it... it was too bad. he had lived for so long.. but... you think he'll have a good replacement.

in the damp night, you decided to sleep near human hana's home, because it was much more dry there. your ear twitched as you hear the sound of something sliding. you sleepily lift your head as you saw the blue haired male you knew too well. he stood there. staring at the rustling trees. he looked as if he were in thought. "..Ame?" you whispered. he looked at you in concern. "sorry. did I wake you?" you shook your head. "no... I was always a light sleeper." you softly chuckled. "so what's wrong? can't sleep?" you asked tilting your head. ame didn't respond. he instead walked to you and sat in the curve of your body. your ear twitched. some thing's biting him. but it's best not to pester him on it. he then laid back and rested his head on your soft belly. you felt your face become abruptly hot at this simple action.

"...I'm sorry you had to see me like that." He muttered. You looked back at him quizzically. "I don't know what came over me." Ame sighed, nestling into your fur. "Ame.. I'd be upset to if I was slapped and pestered into doing something I don't want to do." You tried reassuring him. "But.. I didn't think you'd... be.. so.." your voice faltering as you struggled to find the right words. "...vicious?" Ame questioned. Your mouth opened slightly. "I wouldn't put it like-" you started, but Ame snickered. "I know you did." He grimly stated. He reclined comfortably on your abdomen and placed his hands behind his head, looking into the dimly little night sky. "I let my anger get the best of me. Please forgive me for that." He sounded very solemn. He must have regretted his display. "Ame, it's okay." You gave him a reassuring lick on the cheek. Ame then turns his head to you. "Did... Yuki offend you on what she said?"

You lowered an ear. What a strange question. "Well... it caught me off guard.. but I basically am just a wolf.. just one able to speak with human tongue." you answered honestly. Truth be told, it did hurt you a bit. She used to love the wolf life when she was a pup. Now.. she's more accustomed to the human's way of life. You have to wonder.. what could have happened? What made her turn? You then felt Ame shake his head. "You're more than a wolf, (y/n).." he whispered as he relaxed himself and shut his eyes. "What..?" You raised your ears. No response. You looked back at the pre-teen to see he had succumbed to the grip of sleep. slowly, you laid your tail on his chest and he nestled up closer against your body. you laid your head down and fell back asleep.