Leaving the den

by the time you and ame were at the mountain's edge, the rain had begun ease up until it stopped all together. you looked at unconscious human hana in concern as you walked beside ame. "are.. you sure she'll be okay?" you asked nudging human hana's cold fingers. "yes. don't worry." he reassured you. finally, you spotted the flat grounds of human civilization. you stopped at the fence separating woods from civilization. "wait here." ame ordered. and you nodded and stood there. he climbed over the fence and walked to the middle of the clearing and gently laid his unconscious mother to the ground. soon he turned to you and walked to the wood's end again. as he walked to you, he then morphed one final time into his wolf form.

he was indeed an adult. the dark blue, nearly black hair on his head stretched from muzzle to tail tip. his belly was now a crisp white. and he had a beautiful brown eyed stare. he was a fully matured wolf. you can see it. you can scent it. and you can feel it. you were so focused on his matured beauty that you didn't see human hana regain consciousness. it was her voice calling his name that broke your thoughts. you then saw ame turn around to face her. you were still a little far away, so you couldn't really make out what she was saying to him. at first Ame seemed unfazed, but then he looked as if he could have second thoughts on his decision as he turned around almost fully. you caught a glimpse of human hana's face. and she.. looked... very distressed... like she didn't want to see him go. after a moment's hesitation, you saw him take off in your direction and leap gracefully over the fence. "let's go." he said as he raced into the woods, ignoring human hana's calls for him.

you followed after him, you ran side by side with him as you both ran through the mountains at high speeds. "b-but! human hana! won't she be sad about your departure? she worries about you!" you exclaimed through gasps of air. "she won't have to worry. I'm showing her on what she's done for me. She has made me strong and confident." he explained. "I'm showing her she doesn't have to worry about me anymore." he added in. he glanced over to you and gave you that same affectionate look. you nodded and continued to run up the mountain side. your heart ached at hearing human hana still crying out for him. but... ame's a grown wolf now... it's time for him to leave the den.

pretty soon, ame reached the peak of the mountain. you raced to his side. as soon as you did he nudged you with his nose. "let's show her where I belong." he said. you smiled taking in the hint. and you both took a deep breath.

and howled at the top of your lungs.

as you did so, the sun peeked through the clouds and bathed the landscape in a beautiful orange glow. the sun made you and ame's fur glow with a gorgeous orange tint. as soon as you finished you looked down at human hana. she looked so tiny from afar. you couldn't see her expression, but you knew she was proud of her son. he had found his place in the world. you felt something nuzzle your neck and you saw ame looking at you lovingly. you nuzzled him back affectionately. "I love you, (y/n)." ame muttered. "I love you to, ame." you murmured back. he then started to run off back into the forest. and you looked after him.

a few years ago, he was a timid young human boy who loved to stay within his den at all times with his human mother. now look at him. he's a mature adult wolf with a large future ahead of him. and you had the honor of being in that future.

then you looked back at human hana. a small human who had successfully raised two healthy wolf children. strong for a human indeed. she waved to you one final time. you nodded as you ran after ame's trail.