2: This Should Be Interesting

Zoe’s POV

We got off the plane and headed through security to go and pick up our bags. We were allowed to bring two suitcases each as well as our carry on luggage. That was hard because it was the only stuff we would have in our new life that would be part of our old one.

We walked out into the main waiting area of the airport. There were a few people with signs displaying the names of the people who they were waiting for. But we didn’t have to look far before we saw an unfriendly looking guy holding a sign that said ‘YTA Kids’ and instantly disliked him. There were no others around him so we must have been the first to arrive but we approached him anyway and he only nodded at us and said, ‘we are waiting for everyone, there are others who have yet to arrive’. Well, duh. So Joe and I sat on a bench nearby and people watched while we waited for the rest.

Soon what appeared to be more people from our flight came through security. Oh great, the weird crying girl from the plane was here. Then there was a shy looking guy with glasses and really nice hair (and butt when he turned around) and a few minutes later a really cute boy approached who smiled at us before sitting down at the other end of the bench. We waited a while with everyone pretty much keeping to themselves before two more joined our group. 

When they walked up I wasn’t even totally convinced they would be actually talking to each other let alone joining our group. One of them was tall with sandy hair and had a nice smile and the other was skinny, had brown hair, blue eyes but his tattoos and piercings scared me. They looked like such polar opposites and were both laughing at something that was obviously more funny and important than our current situation.

The tattooed boy looked up as he approached the guy holding the sign, raised his pierced eyebrow, scoffed when the man began to speak and just walked off dragging his bag behind him. I looked down and smiled to myself, at least I knew he hated this just as much as we did.

About half an hour later Joe went to get us food because we were still waiting for two more people to arrive. While he was gone I took the opportunity to sneak glances at the others. The two boys were still talking, the girl was reading something, the cute guy had his eyes closed and his headphones in while the shy guy was on his phone. They all looked fairly normal except for the kid with tattoos and piercings, he looked like trouble.

Another plane had landed, evident from the large amounts of people who were pouring out of the terminal. Once they passed I noticed a sad looking boy who slowly approached the man and just nodded at him before moving to the side not even glancing at us once. Luckily Joe came back with some food then and just as we finished eating a smiling, purple haired boy hurried up. ‘So sorry, they thought they lost my luggage but then they found it!’ he said laughing and running his and through his hair which was strange considering the solemnness of the rest of the group. He beamed at us and, not to be stereotypical but it was pretty obvious by they way he was acting and the way his eyes lingered on the boys, that he way gay. Not that I minded of course but I was a bit worried about the fact that unlike the rest of us he didn’t seem concerned about the situation we were in. 

However the sign guy certainly was, as it appeared we had all arrived. ‘Ok everyone, now that you’re all here we can go but first I have to collect your passports so that you don’t try and return home’, we handed them to him with reluctance but all he said was, ‘if you’ll all follow me’.

We followed him and walked outside and golly it was so hot! As we walked to the car parking structure I almost melted until we stopped in front of a minibus type thing with a trailer attached. After we loaded in our luggage we climbed inside to the air-conditioning and set out north towards what was apparently called the Sunshine Coast. We had to drive for an hour and the entire time there was no noise except for the air-con and the radio. 

We turned into our street and stopped in front of our new house and my jaw dropped. We all clambered out and unloaded our luggage while the guy just sat in the drivers seat and waited for us to finish. Once everything was out the guy held out an A4 envelope and said in a despising tone, ‘everything you need it in here as well as all the information, have fun bonding with each other as this is your new life and if there’s an emergency our office number is inside’.

The tattoo boy plucked the envelope from his hand and said ‘even in an emergency, I don’t think we’d contact you’. I smirked as the guy scowled, put the bus into gear and drove away. We were officially on our own.

From now on we would have to rely on each other and hopefully we could work this out. But this new life, as well as the fact that we all hated that man who represented the YTA, could count as a bonding moment? Maybe? 

Yeah it turns out I was pretty desperate for us to get along. This should be interesting.