3: Acceptance and Introductions

Tyler’s POV

The house was huge. Like, for the fact that we were rejects no one wanted we sure were going to live nice. It looked to be about 3 stories with the garage down the bottom, a balcony coming out of the middle section and what looked like just rooms on the top level. The whole house and the walls at the front of the property were painted white. Small palm trees lined the inside of the front walls to give it a very beachy but modern feel.

I was trying to make the best out of the situation by looking at it in a positive way even though I could tell the other were not as eager to accept this new living arrangement. I looked around to see what was actually surrounding the property and it was then that I realized what I could hear, and I assume, smell was the sea. This made me excited because I had never lived near the sea before and it sounded fairly close.

There was a car sitting in the driveway, which puzzled me, as I didn’t think any of us could drive. Which I had thought would make it difficult to go places to get food and whatnot but then I remembered that one of the boys was Australian so perhaps he would be able to. I wondered why they weren’t worried about him trying to return home as he didn’t need a passport to do that but I guess I would find out why when we all talked about it. Of course I had to figure out which one was Australian first because although I had their names and locations I hadn’t put names to faces yet. And I hadn’t heard a single word out of any of them so I couldn’t even see which ones had cute accents.

I turned my attention back to the un-spirited group and decided that I would take charge, ‘ok guys shall we go inside then and have a look?’ I got a few nods and people began to pick up their stuff so that was a start.

I dragged my suitcase up the driveway to the front door and rummaged in the envelope for the house key. I pulled it out finding that they had actually provided a few copies for us to have one each, how sweet I thought sarcastically. I opened the door and entered into a narrow but well lit foyer. And the only word I could use to describe it was wow. It was the nicest houses I had ever been in and really well furnished too, it must have been a posh holiday house at some point.

I turned to see the others reactions to see that they were still trying to collect their stuff. Most of them brought multiple bags full of stuff from home. Me? I just brought a suitcase full of clothes and essentials and my backpack, there was nothing personal from home because as far as I was concerned they were dead to me. Ok well except for one thing but I didn’t like to dwell on memories.

I took my bag up the small stairs at the end of the entrance way that lead into the lounge/kitchen area before putting it down and running outside to the others, ‘guys you have to see this place, its amazing’. Despite their moods, that perked their interests and with my help with a few of the bags we managed to get everyone inside. Their reactions were just as I suspected, I watched them take it all in which actually gave me an opportunity to observe each of them.

The thought path of my mind pretty much went;

Those two boys look like really nice people...

That boy looks so sad and betrayed; I hope he’ll be ok...

They must be brother and sister, she looks kind and sweet and he his really cute – probably, unfortunately, straight...

The blonde girl looks like she would really fun to hang out with...

They probably think I’m crazy...

But I just want to believe that this will all work out...

Holy hell that boy had a cuuute ass!!

But for some reason it was the one with the tattoos and piercings intrigued me. His eyes were incredible, bright blue like the sea and his tattoos (something I was not normally in to) were like delicate maps of artwork on his skin.

I mentally scolded myself; I shouldn’t think about them like that, they were new roommates not potential hookups. Besides they were probably all upset about being sent away. Me? I didn’t care, I was happy with who I was and didn’t have time for the opinions of those people in my close-minded town.

I walked over to the kitchen counter and poured out the contents of the envelope. There were quite a few bits of paper, the keys, the business card and a credit card.

I picked up the paper and begun to read aloud; Welcome to your new home! This is where you will be living from now provided to you by the YTA. There are several things you need to know which will be covered in detail on the following pages. Please note that all instructions and information must be paid attention to for your own safety and the well being of everyone. ‘Yeah right’, I muttered to myself.

I glanced through the next few pages before setting the paper down on the counter and picking up the keys. ‘Here you guys go, there’s a set for each of us so you can come and go as you please’, but I only got a few weak smiles in return. I was getting kind of sick of the sadness and, more importantly, the no talking thing so I decided to change that. ‘Look’, I started giving them a sympathetic smile, ‘I know you guys are sad and scared and you don’t want to be here but there isn’t really anything we can do about it, yeah it sucks but I want us to make the best out of this and try to make it work. It will get better, I promise.’ 

I was like the tension in the room visibly lifted after my little speech and the small brown haired girl stepped forward slightly. ‘I agree’, she said smiling, ‘I’m Zoe by the way and this is my brother Joe. I’m also sad that we were sent here but I really hope we can all be friends’. 

‘I’m Tyler’, I replied, ‘perhaps we should sit and talk before we deal with all that’, I gestured at the papers, ‘would anybody like a drink?’ They all politely declined and we made our way over to the lounge area and sat down. ‘So’, I began, ‘as I said before my name is Tyler...’

A bit of a longer chapter to thank you all for reading and voting and commenting even though it’s not far along, also I have not really written out lots of chapters ahead of time so if you have and ideas, suggestions or things you think I should include feel free to let me know. Also I know I am not updating that often but I have lots of school stuff that I have to do, sorry!!

- Milly