24 | THE FINAL STRIKE |

trigger warning: mentions of death, miscarriage, self-harm, depression, and eating disorders

trigger warning: mentions of death, miscarriage, self-harm, depression, and eating disorders. please do not read if you cant, im sorry if you are going through tough things, if you need to talk, my messages are always open

THERE WAS NOTHING worse than knowing you were the cause of another's pain. The guilt wrecked through your body like never ending electric shocks. Your heart was ripped to shreds and you felt like you were drowning in pain and shame.

It was even worse when it wasn't the first time causing the death of someone you loved.

"Rory?"

"Rory?"

It took a few times for Carlisle to repeat her name before she met his concerned gold eyes.

In the flurry of events that had folded unexpectedly and quickly, she had somehow blacked out, fully conscious but dazed and numb like she had been rescued from being drowned in a frozen lake. She blinked as Carlisle pulled out a tiny flashlight to check her eyes, frowning as clear signs of a concussion showed.

"I'm okay," she heard herself say to the blond vampire.

He felt her forehead to check for a fever and glanced at the pool of blood underneath her worriedly. At his side, Bella cradled her bleeding arm and Rosalie stared at Rory pityingly.

It seemed Bella was the only one who hadn't figured out what had happened by the confused look in her eyes.

"Let's clean you up," Rosalie said softly, kneeling beside Rory's body, still curled at the base of the stairs. Rosalie was too concerned for the human girl to lose control over the thirst. There were more important matters at hand. The blonde carefully lifted Rory up, the latter immediately reaching out to hold Rosalie's arm for support.

"I'm okay," she repeated once more. Rory's voice was fragile like glass as she spoke. Her eyes were wild and scared as she looked around the room devoid of vampires. "Where's Jasper? Is he okay?"

"The others are with him outside. He doesn't want to accidentally hurt anyone," Carlisle explained as he handed her an icepack that had appeared in his hands. He guided it to rest at the back of her head where it was most tender.

Rosalie looked her over again. "Carlisle, I think she needs to go to the hospital."

"I agree," The doctor said with a nod. "She's showing signs of a concussion as well as the...other situation," he said the last part lightly, "Will you be okay, Rose?"

Rosalie eyed Rory sadly. "Mind over matter. I'll take her there."

Carlisle nodded trustingly. "I'll stitch Bella up in my office and meet you there with the others."