Chase

Long ago, a young boy by the name of Ryder had just woken his parents up. Today was Christmas day, and he was hoping that he would finally get the gift he had asked for so many times before: a puppy. After coming into the living area, the family moved through the gifts until the last one was handed out. Sadly, Ryder looked over all the boxes and bags laying on ripped up paper. "No puppy this year either." But then, his mother came out of the kitchen with a large box.

"Oops, we must have missed one." She said, winking to the boy's father.

"Go ahead and open it, son." He said.

Ryder tore into the package, which unboxed a German Shepherd puppy. Ryder was thrilled when, suddenly, the puppy looked at him and....

"Hi, what's your name? And where am I? This doesn't look like where I usually live?" The puppy said, surprising both mother and son.

"Don't worry," his dad began, "I have looked at this puppy in the lab. And I've discovered that there are many dogs who can talk; like this one."

"Well, the least you could have done would have been to tell me." His mother said to his father. "I was surly not ready for that kind of shock this early."

For a moment, puppy and child sat watching the boy's father try to think of something to say, then Ryder broke the silence.

"My name is Ryder, little pup. And I'm guessing you don't have a name?"

"A name?" The puppy said, clearly confused. "What's that? Is it something bad?"

"No, everyone has one. And I think yours should be... aha, Chase! It will be Chase."

"Yay! My name's Chase! My name's Chase!" The puppy echoed happily. The family just smiled and laughed.