Karlon

Dedric Ingram's body was sent back to his home, Riverford, after his funeral. Karlon attended with his father and sisters. The only one of them who had a feeling of sorrow was Garrett Vestarr, though. Lord Ingram was the father to Karlon's mother, Rose, and he was born the Lord of Riverford, the capital city of the Swamplands, where he spent most of his life. If Karlon, Belle, and Melody would have known him better, they might have wept, but all he was to them was their mother's father. The timing of his death was also far from a coincidence. Once Karlon and his sisters entered the lobby at the bottom of the Ivory Tower, they discussed that the Queen might have murdered Lord Ingram with their father.

"They're saying Lord Ingram died of a heart attack," Karlon said to his father.

"And what do you say, son?" asked Garrett. "He was an old man."

"No, there's something else," said Karlon.

"We all felt something when the King called off the Queen's trial," Belle pointed out. "Right as Lord Ingram died."

"Did you?" their father asked. "What was it?"

"I don't know," Karlon answered. "But it just felt, wrong."

"Alright, I understand," Garrett assured. "You think the Queen manipulated Robar?"

"And maybe murdered Lord Ingram," said Karlon. "I don't know how else it would have happened."

"Well, I trust your judgment, Karlon," agreed Garrett. "You may be right. I've come across something disturbing as well."

"What?" asked Karlon, sensing a feeling of concern from his father.

"Trevor's in on the investigation," answered Garrett. "He's in the catacombs, looking for something that's awakened after ten thousand years."

"How is the Queen connected?" asked Karlon.

"You said that the Lysanders murdered Dedric Ingram," said Garrett. "And that the Queen tried to have Ser Darien murdered in his sleep."

"Okay, and?"

"That, along with the dark power under the Ivory Tower, is all connected. I just don't know to what," Suddenly, the huge doors to the tower with the head of a dragon carved into it flew open, and a man with a white jacket stormed in, followed by four armed, white-armored Lysander Knights. He was Semil Lysander, the Lord of Green Hill, and High Lord of the Highlands.

"Oh, no," Melody whispered, pulling the hood of her cloak over her head.

"Father, could you take the girls to maybe get something to eat downtown, please?" asked Karlon. Lord Semil had a look of rage on his face, and a wrathful aura followed him as he stepped closer to them.

"Will you be alright?" asked Garrett.

"Yeah," Karlon assured. Their father escorted Belle and Melody out of the tower as the Lysander lord approached Karlon.

"My lord," he greeted, as polite as he could to his biggest rival. "Would you mind honestly explaining something to me?"

"Explain what, Lord Semil?" Karlon asked. "There's a lot of things I want to be explained to me, too, like why Lord Frost has reported your soldiers garrisoning themselves in the Icewood. I don't appreciate southern forces in my territory without me knowing about it, my lord."

"Lord Frost must be mistaken," assured Semil.

"His soldiers said 'white armor, black cat-crested'," Karlon corrected. "And I trust him. Anyway, what did you want to know?"

"I never ordered garrisoned forces in the Snowlands, but a few of mine have reported your soldiers attacking them on the border between the Highlands and Snowlands," said Lord Semil, but Karlon sensed deception in his words.

"That's a lie," scolded Karlon. "And I'm sure Lord Frosts' men attacked yours because he politely asked them to leave and they refused."

"I did not come here to be scolded by a child, my lord."

"Well, tough!"

"Watch your mouth around our lord, boy!" one of the Lysander Knights shouted.

"Boy?" Karlon repeated. "I'm the Lord of Snowfall!"

"Father!" a girl's voice suddenly called from behind. Ariana Lysander ran to her father and threw her arms around him.

"Arry," said Lord Semil. It was a year since they had last seen each other, and while they were reconnecting, Karlon snuck away, hoping to rejoin his father and sisters, until he was stopped by King Robar, Ser Darien, the old Ser Lloyd, and the rest of the Dragon Guard.

"Your Grace," he greeted, bowing his head.

"What just happened between you and Lysander?" asked the King.

"Honestly, Your Grace, it's nothing," answered Karlon.

"Nothing?" said Robar. "An argument between Lord Vestarr and Lord Lysander is nothing?" Karlon sighed. "Seems unusual."

"Do you remember Garvin Frost, Your Grace?" asked Karlon.

"Of course I do," King Robar answered. "Good man. He's the Lord of the Icewood, isn't he?"

"He's reported Knights and soldiers of House Lysander deploying in his villages and forests," said Karlon. "And somehow, I didn't know about it until a few days ago."

"Has he, now?" asked the King.

"Yes, Your Grace. I've heard disturbing reports from villagers."

"I will talk to Lord Semil about this matter," said the King, but he seemed to immediately change his mind. "Actually, I'm teaching Vorian how to settle disputes such as this. I will arrange a session of court for him to oversee. It will happen tomorrow."

"Thank you, Your Grace," said Karlon.