Roderick

It was weeks since Belle and Melody escaped from Mistral. News of the Lysanders' victory at the Fields of Highspring and the breaking of the Siege of Riverford had reached King Vorian. Ariana Lysander had been captured, and her army smashed by Lord Karlon's. Ser Brett Coyle and Prince Roderick were soon summoned by Vorian to discuss a matter between them, and them only. Maybe it had to do with them helping Belle and Melody escape the Ivory Tower. Vorian was angry when they confessed to it, but not as mad as their father would have been.

"You helped them escape?" he snapped.

"Of course we did," Roderick answered.

"Of course you did," Vorian whispered. "We could have kept them hostage."

"What could we have negotiated that would have held Lord Karlon back?" Roderick asked. "Sending him his father's head?"

"Even if we were to allow Belle and Melody to return to Snowfall, their brother would have marched south, either way," Vorian argued.

"And who's fault is that, Your Grace?" asked Ser Brett Coyle.

"What exactly do you want me to say, Ser?" Vorian demanded. "I screwed up?"

"Yes, but that would be a major understatement," Roderick answered.

"Fine then, I screwed up," Vorian admitted. "I admit it."

"Well, as I said, that's doesn't even touch it," said Roderick. "Your entire country is slowly turning against you, brother. House Williams is gathering their own army in Red Harbor. Our Aunt Alyssa is preparing for an assault on Mistral."

"I'm aware of the situation," said Vorian. "And I'm also aware that the two hostages we could have kept are out of our reach, because of you two."

"Answer me honestly, Vorian," Roderick pleaded. "What would you have done with them if they were still in this city?"

"Nothing," Vorian promised. "I would have treated them well on account of how much Belle meant to you. I know you loved her, but we're at war, now. There are some risks I can't take."

"Like the one you took when you hanged Garrett Vestarr?" asked Roderick.

"Don't get high and mighty, Roderick," Vorian snapped. "Another reason Karlon's marching towards us is because you killed Trevor Karvine, his childhood friend. Do you think I'm proud of what I did? I'm not. Thousands have already died because of me, and thousands more will in the next few months."

"What would you have us do, Your Grace?" asked Ser Brett.

"You will do nothing," Vorian answered. "I'm relieving you of your position of the Dragon Knight Commander."

"Vorian, that's a bad idea," Roderick advised.

"Actually, it isn't," Ser Brett admitted. "He wasn't King for ten minutes, and I had already lied to him." At least Brett admitted to his dishonesty, but it was also Roderick's dishonesty.

"You may keep the armor, blade, and rifle," said Vorian.

"I wish you well, Your Grace," Ser Brett wished, then he left.

"Wow, it is just dumb decision after dumb decision with you, is it?" said Roderick.

"I trusted him, brother, but now I don't," Vorian argued.

"Who's the new Dragon Knight Commander, then?" asked Roderick. "Have you thought that far ahead?"

"I have, in fact," Vorian answered. "Our brother, Darien."