Gridlock (Part 2)

***
I don't own Doctor Who or any of its characters or plots. I only own my OC and my plot changes.

Italics are thoughts of characters.
"Italics" are when they're speaking telepathically.

***

After a while of silence Martha turns back to the red head, daring to ask the silent question everyone else didn't.
"So, Jay? Where are you from?

Said red head stops the small tune she was humming to herself and glances up from fiddling with the bandages on her wrist. She had completely forgotten to change them from the bloodied rags they had become once again, and she was a little surprised to see no one had noticed them yet. But she was happy not to have the attention. From the corner of her eye she notices Milo and Cheen perk up at the question as she knew they were curious about it themselves. She did after all just appear out of nowhere to them all.

The Songbird shrugs and shifts uncomfortably.
"All over the place, I guess."

"So you like, travel?"

"Yeah."

Martha nods her head in understanding. Noticing the girls discomfort she changes the subject.

"So really though, what made you come after me? I mean I'm a complete stranger to you."

"Everyone's important. And....I told myself that I'd help anyone I could."

"You sound like someone I know."

Before The Songbird could reply, Milo pipes up from the front.

"See? Another ten layers to go. We're scorching."

The Time Lady quickly makes it to the front of the car as a growling sound was heard in the distance. The once timid and shy girl with an uncomfortable look on her face, was now replaced with a look of concentration. In the others eyes it seemed as if this was a whole new person in front of them. Instead of staying in the corner she had decided to stay in the whole trip, there was a feel of a bit of confidence and urgency radiating off of her as she came to the front.

Martha looks around.
"What's that? It's coming from underneath."

"It's that noise, doesn't it? It's like Kate said. The stories, they're true."

"What stories?"

Milo shakes his head.
"It's the sound of the air vents. That's all. The exhaust fumes travel down, so at the base of the tunnel they've got air vents."

"No, but the stories are much better. They say people go missing on the motorway. Some cars just vanish, never to be seen again, because there's something living down there in the smoke. Something huge and hungry. And if you get lost on the road, it's waiting for you." Cheen explains with a look of slight delight at the story.

Another growl echoes in the distance. The Songbird narrows her eyes.

"But like I said. Air vents. Going down to the next layer."

"Except look out there. Does it look like the air vents are working?" The trainee doctor asks.

Realizing what she was saying Cheen let's out a uneasy reply.
"No."

"So what's that, then?"

Trying to shake it off, Milo is quick to deny it once more.
"Nah. Kid stuff. Car four six five diamond six, on descent."