3/ Picnic

The Next Day

"Come on girls! We're leaving now!"

Finally, Olivia and Maddie came running out of the living room to the front door, where Oliver and I were waiting for them. I smiled down at them. They looked extra adorable today. Olivia's straight blonde hair was in a ponytail and Maddie's brown curly hair was down for once. They were both wearing matching yellow dresses with leggings, an outfit that Oliver's mom had gotten them for their fifth birthday the week before.

I held their hands and we left the apartment, Oliver carrying the picnic basket on his lap behind us. Olivia jumped and skipped, while Maddie walked calmly beside me, a perfect representation of their personalities. We went down the elevator, into the parking garage, and to our car, the same truck I had driven in high school when I was pregnant with the girls. We were desperate for a new car for me, but money was tight and the truck still worked. Oliver put the picnic basket down on the floor by the passenger seat and climbed in. He could drive his car with the hand controls we had put in, but it was much more cramped with our whole family than the truck. I put the girls in their car seats, grabbed Ollie's wheelchair and folded it up, and put it in the back between the girls. Finally, we were ready to go. Every outing as a family was crazy and difficult, but we didn't get to do stuff like this often, so I was thankful we were.

I climbed into the drivers seat and strapped in.

"Ready?" I asked, looking back at the girls.

They both nodded. I pulled out of the parking garage and started heading towards the park.

"So I was thinking we could talk about the job with our parents today," Oliver said.

"I think you should take it," I replied.

"Are you sure?"

"I mean yeah, I think we can do it. We'll be able to take care of the girls since they'll be in school and we really need this job."

"Yeah, it's a great company and it pays enough where you can work part time and we'll be ok," he said.

I smiled. "That sounds perfect."

"And don't worry too much about our parents. They have each other."

I nodded, thinking about the beautiful family that had been created when Oliver and I got married. It really started before then, when I first got pregnant. Our parents couldn't be more supportive. I still sometimes imagined what it would be like with my mom here. But luckily for me, Anne had become a second mom to me.

My thoughts were interrupted by a little voice in the back seat.

"Are we there yet?"

"Not yet Liv," Oliver said.

"Where are we going?" Maddie asked.

I laughed.

"I told you this morning. We're seeing grandma and grandpa and poppa," I replied.

"Oh, I thought we were going to the park," she said.

"We are, that's where we're meeting them."

"Oh."

A few minutes later we arrived at the park. I saw our parents waiting for us at a nearby bench. I let the girls out and they ran over to their grandparents. Then, I helped Oliver put his leg braces on. He didn't use them often, but since we were at the park and it was grassy, he had decided to bring them. He still went to physical therapy weekly and had gotten much better at using them. At our wedding, he could barely stand. Now, he could use crutches to walk around.

I got his crutches from the back and held them out for him. He slid off the seat and put his arms in them. We went slowly over to the table.

"Your walking is looking so good," his mom said.

"Thanks," he said, sitting down. "I need to do it more often out of physical therapy though."

He sat down and adjusted his braces so his knees were bent.

"Sorry we're late," I said, "the girls wouldn't stop playing with all their toys from their birthday."

"Don't worry about it," Anne said.

I began unpacking the picnic basket and the girls ran over to look inside.

"So, Allie and I have something to tell you guys," Oliver said.

I looked over at him and smiled.

"I got a job offer in Indiana and we think we're going to take it."

"Oh honey, that's amazing!" Anne exclaimed. Our dads both congratulated him.

"Yeah, it was a bit of a hard decision to make at first but it's a really great opportunity and it'll let Allie work part time so we decided to take it."

"That's perfect, especially with the baby coming," my dad said. I nodded.

We continued to talk about the job and had lunch. The girls finished quickly and went to the playground nearby. When we finished eating, I helped Oliver up and we went over to a bench right by the playground, sitting down to watch the girls play. I lied my head on his shoulder.

"So you like this job too right?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's not the most exciting thing in the world but if I'm able to get promoted it'll get better for sure."

"I'm so proud of you," I said, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

He looked at me for a couple seconds and then kissed me on the lips. We pulled away and I continued to rest my head on his shoulder. Before long, Olivia ran over, crying. Her leggings were ripped at her right knee and it was bleeding.

I stood up and bent down beside her.

"What happened sweetie?"

"I-I fell," she cried. I picked her up and started heading towards the car.

"I'll be right back," I said to Oliver.

I lied her down on the backseat and took off her leggings. I rinsed her knee with water and bandaged it up.

"Feel better?" I asked.

She nodded, wiping a tear from her face. I kissed the bandage and picked her up. We headed back to the playground.

On the way, I saw Oliver's parents getting up from the table.

"Is everything alright?" Anne asked.

"Yeah, Liv just scraped her knee."

She gave Olivia a kiss on her cheek.

"We have to head out. We're driving your dad to pick up his car from an oil change but we'll see you on Monday. You have work at 7 right?"

"Yep, Ollie should be able to watch them though. He doesn't have work until 5 and I'll be back by then."

"Oh my gosh, I forgot he graduated."

I smiled. "I keep forgetting too."

"Do you know when his job starts?"

"I think it's in June, so really soon," I replied.

"Oh my, we'll have to help you two look for a place."

"Oh yeah! That would be super helpful. We have a lot to do," I said, suddenly realizing the reality of moving.

"Well, we'll see you guys soon," she said with a subtle smile.

"See you," I responded.

Olivia started wiggling and I let her down to run back to the playground. I joined Oliver on the bench.

"We have so much do to," I sighed.

"I know, I'll have more time on my hands now though," he said.

I nodded.

"We'll be ok," he said, wrapping his arm around me.