Chapter 5 | Dusk

Shadows were drawn out like rubber onto the ground as dusk settled over the desert. The sun was almost gone beyond the horizon, leaving the world to cool before it would pester it with its radiant warmth the next day. The only real downside to having the sun gone, was the insects that began their nightshift of feasting on whatever smelt of sweat and blood.

Irritated, Juniper snapped her jaws at her side to try and fend of the persistent flies and mosquitos. I slapped my palm against my neck as I felt one of the bloodsuckers dig in for a meal. It didn't take long before my patience ran dry, making me take out the eucalyptus oil that I had extracted about a week earlier. If you prepared it right, it had a number of uses and benefits. Not only was it good to keep insects at bay, but the oil's main component, eucalyptol, had antiseptic uses as well as antibacterial properties. It could be used to clean wounds in order to avoid an infection, as well as help with symptoms of a cold, like a cough or sore throath. It even held the ability to relieve pain in sore muscles, or decrease swelling and reduce inflammation.

It had, without a doubt, saved me countless of times. It was one of those useful little recipes that my mother had taught me while growing up. I had to admit that I never actually thought that I would have to depend on it as a life necessity. Now, I couldn't picture myself going through my day without it.

I unscrewed the lid off the small, plastic jar before I dipped my fingers into the oil. I smeared it onto my neck and arms before I put some behind Juniper's ears, neck and under her belly. Then, I put the jar back into my pack before I put on my checkered shirt, that I had worn tied around my waist, as extra protection. Hopefully, it would be enough to keep the bastards at bay. It usually was.

We continued over the dry ground with deep, dark cracks reaching into what was, most likely, the pits of hell. I could see licking flames break through the surface, reaching for my wrists in attempts to drag me down into the darkness. In vain, I tried to close my eyes in order to escape the visions. Instead, I could feel the heat that rose around me while vicious whispers could be heard from below. They threathened to take Juniper away from me if I did not join them.

"It's already too late for you, you know that", a cold, grave voice could be heard.

"It is what is best", another softly spoke.

I pressed my hands against my ears in an attempt to shut them out. It was, however, pointless, as they remained in my head.

"You care for that dog, don't you? It's either you or her, Charlie. Come now", I heard them whisper.

Carefully, they wove their lies into my mind, clouding me from reality. I refused to listen to them.

"We will always be here for you. Always."

"Go away", I said and started to walk faster.

If it was in belief that they would not be able to keep up with me or if it simply was a method to distract myself, I did not know.

"I need to find some water...", I mumbled and shook my head in an attempt to convince myself that it must be because of the dehydration.

And so, we continued our tiring journey through the desert as dusk turned into dark. Stars lit our path and, while I tried my best to ignore the whispers in my head, Juniper made an attempt to chase after a hare that spurted across the barren landscape.

She would often hunt alone at night and return by morning with whatever prey she could find. Sometimes, it would mean that there was food for both of us. She would leave it by my side in wait for me to wake up so that I could prepare and cook the animal. Mostly, however, she only caught smaller prey, like rats or mice, which meant that there was little left for me. All that I hunted I shared between us, not having the heart to be selfish even if I knew that she had already ate.

It seemed as if we were in for a lucky night as Juniper came trotting back with the hare's limp body hanging by the neck between her jaws. She dropped it at my feet, putting a stiff smile onto my lips. I picked up the animal before I tied it to my rucksack. At least starvation wouldn't be the most prominent cause of death for tonight.

We kept going.

The milky way provided us with enough light that no substantial light were needed. We passed a gigantic, orange rock that cast an equal shadow. Below, there were smaller rocks surrounded by dry bushes that had been ripped up by the sandstorm. Crossing our path, a scorpion made its way towards the setting of rocks. Momentarily, it switched colour into a fluorescent aqua, just as it would if you shone on it with an UV-light. I blinked, and it was gone.

One foot in front of the other.

After what I calculated as an hour later, we reached a setting where plants started to grow more frequent. Eucalyptus trees started to branch out in front of us. Perhaps it was another vision, I thought, when I saw the beginning of a forest reveal itself in front of my eyes. In that same moment, I noticed dark clouds above the tree tops that kept the stars from shining through.

That's when I felt it. The touch of a cold drop of rain against my face. I took of my cap and was rewarded with another. Then another, and another. It caressed my parched skin as it ran through my slick hair, down my temples and nose. It teased my torrid lips, finding its way down my collarbones and further down the outlines of my shirt.

It didn't take long for it to have drenched my clothes as well as Juniper's fur. We both stood still for a moment, relishing the gift we had been given. With not a single drop of rain for over a month, it was as if I experienced a rainfall for the first time in my life. I suspected that Juniper felt the same way, as she closed her eyes and met the opening skies with relief.

When we were done admiring the rain, we proceeded in under the trees. The raindrops bounced between the foliage before they crashed down towards the ground. Here, the vegetation was a lot thicker with large bushes and leaves that covered the ground. The air was, to my alleviation, less dry as it was oxygenated by the tropical plants.

It was difficult to see below the dense trees, and before I knew it, I had tripped over some roots hidden by the verdure. I fell over, not quiet sure as to what had happened. All I felt was freezing, cold water paralyzing me from head to toe. I fought to get up from the mud that clung to my clothes.

Slowly, I realized that I had fell right into the heart of a shallow river.