Chapter 31 | Call of the mountain

I walked for two days straight, finding myself caught in an endless loop. Miles and miles of tall grass stroke by my legs as the landscape never seemed to change. Only the sky did. It went from a dark, deep blue star scattered canvas to a bleeding scarlet curtain.

Later that day, as twilight persecuted us, dark clouds rolled in. Its arrows lashed my body cold and wet before it all cleared up and made me hot and dry again. Small gusts of wind and sand blew in from the West in turns. Perhaps they were led astray from another sandstorm.

One night, the skies were lit ablaze by spirits who danced and celebrated over the world's canopy. They flowed in perfect motion carrying the colours of sparkling rubies and emeralds. Then, as they moved on, the stars and moon took over once again.

I only stopped for water once. By a rippling stream, perhaps it was the same one that had flowed past the village, I allowed myself to drink long and heavily. So did Juniper, even though she kept at a safe distance from me. She threw cunning glances my way, keeping herself on constant edge.

When I looked up, the moon hung just above the peak of the mountain. A little closer than last. It made the water of the stream sparkle, illuminating every single drop like crystals in a dark cave. I could feel the rumble beneath the ground, making the water of the stream boil from its power. It called for me, and I longed for its presence.

So I kept walking.

The next morning the sun never properly rose. Instead, it was left hidden behind dark clouds that erupted into a thunder storm. I could feel the electricity in the air, igniting sparks high above that evolved into long branches of lightning. They all sought the acceptance of the mountain, being sucked towards it as if by a magnetic force. Just as I was.

I walked for another half a day. Through raging storms over vast, open plains my shadow and I fought our way forward. After some time, the land began to slope into a complex landscape of collapsed hillsides and strange rock formations. Mist rolled in between peculiar figures formed and sculpted from the mountain by storms passed. Already wet from the rain, the mist found its way in under my clothes, making me shiver. It picked away at my skin and gnawed hungrily on my bones.

Juniper was nothing but a mere shadow as she trotted between the tall stones. The ground made a chiming sound as if we walked upon shattered roof tiles. To me, it might as well be broken bones and human remains. The strange valley sent shivers down my back, and I did not wish to linger any longer than necessary. I threaded carefully as to make as little sound as possible. Something made me feel as if we were not alone.

Heading further into the dark valley, I thought myself to hear tribal drums echo between the stones. Then, I could hear vibrating voices chant in tune with the rhythm. In a circle of stones I saw a glowing light being shattered through the haze. It sent dancing spectrums my way and displayed silhouettes that moved to the sound of the chanting voices.

Fascinated by their movements and music, I moved closer. I hid behind a large rock only a few metres away where I watched thin, shadow figures dance around a large campfire. Some carried bows and spears high over their heads, while others banged away on the drums. In the midst of it all, stood a tall figure. For a moment, I thought it to be Kalinka, as the person carried a similar headdress. But judging by the size of the broad-shouldered build, I realised that the tall one had to be a man.
Just as before the thunderstorm had unloaded - the air felt electric. It pounded in rhythm with the drums and made it feel as if the stone circle generated a great deal of power. Or rather, that the people tried to summon it. It was strange, beautiful and riveting all in the same time. The ritual seemed sacred, and while I almost felt at wrong for being there I found it impossible to look away.