Chapter 20 | Stranded

The sky was painted in crimson, slowly shifting into the colours of saffron and freshly picked oranges. The heir of the storm still reigned over the open wastelands, reaching its long, licking flames towards the skies. As we sat on the white beach, we were caught between ocean and fire. The salty air from the sea refreshed our lungs, enough to help with the cleansing of the poisonous smoke. At least it was for Juniper and I.

Owen could not stop coughing. His eyes were red and irritated, and whenever he drew a breath, a loud, whistling sound escaped his lungs. On my recommendation, he was now laying on his side so that his airways would remain clear. He had drank some water, the last from my supply, as he needed it for the dehydration. His weathered skin had burnt hot beneath my hands as I had placed the green scarf, drenched in saltwater, onto his forehead. He suffered from chest pains, and so I had given him the last of my eucalyptus oil to smear on his chest. He kept complaining about that it felt as if his head was going to explode, and I feared that he might have carbon monoxide poisoning. I only wished that there was more that I could do for him. Sadly, I could not.

To my surprise, Juniper had taken place beside him as he lied on the ground. With a worried look on her face, she rested her head on his lower leg. She understood that he was unwell, and felt obligated to do her part by providing him with her emotional support. Yet, it was unlike her. She had never shown interest in another human being other than myself. Not to my former friends, nor to the members of my family. I only hoped that the cause for Juniper's affection was not because it might be too late for Owen.

Between his compulsive vomiting, he reached out a weak hand to pet her. Carefully, as if he could break her by touch, he stroked her black fur. It seemed to calm his mind somewhat as his body fought an inner war against the smouldering smoke.

"She likes you", I said, as I sat on my knees about a metre away from him and Juniper.

Despite the circumstances, it put a smile on his lips.

"You're lucky to have a dog in times like these", he said hoarsely, his voice barely carrying the words.

"I would be lost without her", I said and gave the Labrador a warm smile.

"Where did you find her?", he asked, as he kept stroking Juniper's silk like fur.

"I didn't", I said and smiled. "I got her when she was still a pup four years ago. We've been inseparable ever since."

"I can understand that you must have been worried when you were split apart. It's a miracle that she found you", Owen said and looked at me.

I could tell that he was in pain, and chances were that he would not make it til tomorrow. I only nodded, leaving out the part where I had been scared half to death by the thought of losing her. She was the only reason that I was still here, living and breathing.

"Why did you not just leave me?", he asked, suddenly, before he looked at me with his piercing gaze. "You could have died in that fire."

"So could you", I said and shifted the weight onto my right hip, moving my legs to the side.

"And if it hadn't been for you, I would be dead", he said, giving up another rasping cough.

"You helped me get out of that cage while risking more than your life. I wasn't just going to leave you behind", I said, whilst looking back at the fire that continued to consume dark silhouettes, that were now the memories of the trees that once had been the only sign of life in the dry desert.

"I'm as good as dead, anyway. At least I did something good in my life by helping you", he said and closed his eyes as if he had grown tired by speaking.