Chapter 9 | Survival of the fittest

The next morning I got up early and packed my things. I had spent the night before comparing my maps to each other, as I had tried to figure out where the area on my newly acquired map was located. I had tried my best to calculate distance and direction using my compass. If I wasn't mistaken, I should be heading North, towards the Northern Territory of Australia. It was a long way to go, and it would mean that I would have to travel through possibly populated areas. As long as I stayed out of sight, though, I should be fine.

Well rested, and well prepared, we left the precious pond behind to venture deeper into the tropical forest. Juniper jogged in front of me, with only the top of her head visible. Her ears fluttered mildly by every step that she took, happy to be on route again.

We made our way through the dense vegetation, cutting through large ferns and young fan palms while zigzagging between eucalyptus trees. The oil vaporized from the foliage, leaving a thin, rising veil of blue haze throughout the forest. The air was humid, yet refreshing to breath due to the morning dew that condensated from the leaves. As the sun rays hit the waterdrops that ornamented the foliage, they sent the light reflecting so that the eye met them as small, sparkling crystals. There had yet to be a sign of another storm. It was a delightful day, just as the ones before.

As we made our way further into the forest, the undergrowth grew thicker. Moss had spread over roots, climbing the stems of the trees while competing with small, lushing leaves and ferns. Below the green flooring of plants there were dry leaves that rustled below our steps.

The days of rest had provided us with new strength and it only felt good to be on foot again. The only thing that I hadn't missed, was the weight of my backpack. I just never seemed to get used to it.

With not much else to do during our pilgrimage through the woods, I started to zone out. I thought of the name Quadrex BioTech and wondered where I could have heard it before. I was certain that I had heard, or read, the name somewhere. I kept thinking of my parents office. Hadn't there been letters and documents from the same company lying on their desks? I wished I could go back to search our house. If there had been anything left of it, so to speak.

I had tried to return about a week later after the first storm had settled. As an addition to my agony, I had found the house burnt down and the area closed off. Since then, I hadn't been back, nor was I planning to. Since then, I had only kept moving forward, trying to ignore the life that I had left behind. It was no idea to dwell in the past, when all I had was the present. Things weren't going to go back to the way that they used to be. Thoughts like that would eventually get you killed. I had many intentions, but that was not one of them. The only thing that kept echoing through my head was to survive at all cost. When you were left with no other choice, you would not settle for less.

* * *

The sun had dropped below the trees, telling me that the day was coming to an end. We had walked for the entire day without rest, only stopping for water. What little of the sky could be seen through the trees, its colours had turned to indigo and an unsettling blue. Long, eerie shadows were cast over the ground, making the world look grey and inscrutable. A light fog had risen from the ground, making it difficult for the eyes to adapt to the dim light.

The birds had grown quiet, leaving the forest to rest in silence. Not even the usual, nocturnal creatures such as crickets and frogs could be heard. It was as if the forest and its inhabitants held its breath in waiting. For what, I did not know.

My legs ached from exhaustion and I longed to let them rest. Therefore, I thought it to be a good idea to set up camp for the night. Juniper, who walked by my side, held her head low as if she was too tired to keep it up. According to my map, we were near a small lake. It wasn't far, so I decided it to be a good place to spend the night.