Chapter Nineteen

"My ex used to do that, too, tucking her hair behind her ear when she was nervous," Vince comments as we begin our walk. I hadn't even realized I'd done that. Although I'm not sure why he's bringing up his ex anyway.

"What, uh," I hesitate. I don't really want to ask about his ex but he brought it up and Ari said they were together for a few years, so I might as well. "What happened between the two of you? Why'd you break up?"

"Some bull. She said she 'couldn't deal with my lifestyle anymore,'" he explains. I furrow my brow. What kind of lifestyle is he living? Vince begins leading me down the sidewalk toward a YMCA. "Want to check it out?"

"In the YMCA? Isn't it closed?" I ask, looking at the sign. There aren't any cars outside. Vince smiles for the first time during the date.

"So what?" He tells me. He pulls himself up over the fence around the building and motions for me to follow him. I freeze.

"What are you doing? Get down from there. We need to leave," I scream-whisper at him. I glance around, terrified that cops are going to spot us. He leans back, whistling at the sky.

"Nobody is going to see us. Nobody cares. Come on," he coaxes me. Suddenly his eyes flicker to the street behind me and his expression darkens.

"Watch out, there's a cop car. If he sees you we will get caught. Get up here, now," he urges me, offering me his hand. I panic and take it, climbing up over the fence and dropping down onto the ground beside him.

"Did they see us?" I ask, heart racing. I don't want to go to jail for this, I inwardly panic. "Vince, did they see us?" I question him again. He casually lights up another cigarette.

"No. There was no cop car. Glad you decided to come over the fence though," he admits. My face burns with fury. I slap him. He recoils, glaring at me, and grabs my wrist.

"You did not do that to me," he stares me down. The look on his face makes me feel very nervous. I try to take a step back but he holds me in place.