Chapter Twenty-Four

"Ash, I had no idea it would be that bad," Brent promises me. Ari howls laughing and beats the table with her fist enthusiastically, startling the poor teenage guy waiting our table.

"Oh man, I don't know if I've even had a date that bad, and I've been on a lot of dates," Ari cackles. "What a hoot! At least you can say 'it was an experience.'" I playfully slap her and she pretends to be hurt. I roll my eyes.

"Yes, an experience I wish I'd never had. And an experience I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy," I correct her. Brent is still giving me an apologetic expression from across the table.

"Still an experience," she shrugs, "and a great story to tell at parties, I'm sure." Leah walks back toward us after washing her hands in the bathroom and takes a seat beside me.

"I don't think I can take any more of these dates. I'm sorry, guys. This last one really wore me out," I admit. Leah places her hand on my shoulder.

"Please give it one last shot? Your last date is one of my friends," Leah begs me.

I hesitate. The only reason I even consider it is the face that Leah hasn't suggested anyone for me to go out with and I trust her choice the most. I raise my eyebrow at her, trying to think of the guy friends she has besides Brent, but none really come to mind.

"I was thinking you two could meet at my house. The friend said they would cook dinner for you," Leah says. I sigh, ready to turn her down, but her big blue eyes are pleading.

"I guess it can't get any worse," I groan.