Part One

"Thank you so much for letting me stay here again last night, Sherry," I take a bite of my pancakes and swallow. Sherry turns to me from the sink and smiles.

"Of course, Wendy. I know your mom would much rather you be here smiling than sitting at home worrying about her," I sigh and stare down at my food. No matter where I am I'm going to worry. Mom had woken me up last night gagging of the toilet, puking blood. It's a normal thing, she's in and out of the ER all the time.

"Morning, everyone!" Chelia, my best friend, yawns as she enters the kitchen.

"You're not even dressed yet, are you Chelia?" Sherry chuckles, guessing spot on without even looking at her sister. Chelia laughs and sits down next to me.

"We still have twenty minutes!" she takes a sip of my juice and looks at me. "What time did you get up?"

"Five," Chelia looks at me like I'm crazy. "Trouble sleeping,"

"Worrying about your mom, huh?" I nod and Chelia takes my hand.

"I'm sure helping me pick an outfit will cheer you up!" she drags me out of my seat and drags me upstairs. I can hear Sherry's laughs all the way up the stairs. I sit on Chelia's bed as she goes through her closet and drawers. "So, do they know what's wrong with your mom yet?" asks.

"No, they don't. I called the hospital about half an hour ago and they said she'd lost fifteen more pounds," I tell her.

"That's not good," Chelia turns to me, holding a yellow shirt up to herself. I shake my head.

"Try yellow ribbons for your hair and that blue shirt," I suggest. "Those colors look good against your hair." She smiles and nods. I watch her as she puts her hair in classic messy pigtails and grabs the outfit I suggested.

***

"See you later, sis!" Chelia calls out as we walk out the door.

"Bye, Sherry," she smiles at us as we get into my car.

"So, guess what Romeo told me!" Chelia giggles. I roll my eyes.

"What?"

"He liiiikkkeeesss you!" I laugh and cut my eyes over to her.

"We aren't seven, Chelia. Cut it out!" I can't help but laugh at her.

"Oh come on, Wendy! Why don't you give him a chance? As long as I've known you, you've turned down every guy that has an interest in you!" she pleads.

"I'm not interested in them!" I turn into our school's parking lot, Magnolia High. "Now hush, let's go," Chelia smiles and rolls her eyes at me.

"Buzzkill," she runs to catch up with me as we walk into the building.

"Morning, ladies," Professor Mest winks at us as we walk past.

"Hi..." I mutter. "Such a creep," I whisper to Chelia.

"Right?" she scoffs and glares back at him. "Thank god this is our last week of his gym class," I nod as we both head over towards our lockers. I open it and grab my books.

"I'm surprised he hasn't gotten fired yet, honestly," I shut my locker door and turn to look at Chelia, but I'm greeted by Romeo, leaning on the space between her and me.

"Hey, Wendy," he smirks. I smile awkwardly.

"Hey...Romeo," I look behind him and see Chelia walking off. I pray for her to look back and see my eyes begging her to stay, but she never does. I cut my eyes back over to Romeo, still not knowing what to say.

"So, I was thinking..." in the middle of his words, the bell rings. Thank god. I wave and smile before taking off to my class.

I walk in and see Chelia sitting on her desk, texting. I storm over to her and cross my arms. "The heck was that? You knew I didn't wanna be alone with him!" Chelia looks up at me and giggles.

"Aw, I just wanted my best friend to have a moment with her boyfr~" I jump and grab her face and pull her into and a tight squeeze.

"Shut up!" I blush.

"You're pushing me between your non-existent tits," Chelia says. I throw her off me.

"Screw you!" I plop down in my seat as Chelia falls into a spell of laughter.

"Hush up, class. We need to get started on your test," Ms. Scarlet yells as she writes on the board. The entire class just sighs, but then sucks it right back in when she turns at us and glares.

"She gets scarier every day, doesn't she?" Chelia whispers.

"Seems like it," I reply.

"SILENCE!" Erza booms, causing us both to almost fall from our seats.

"Y-yes ma'am..." we both mutter. Why is this my first class of the day?

***

"There's no way I passed that test," Chelia sighs. Ms. Scarlet's class just ended, and now it's me and Chelia's free period.

"Ms. Scarlet is the only teacher whose class I have less than a 90 in," I say. "Her class is freaking rough," Chelia nods and looks around the hall. Ms. Scarlet is heading our way.

"Chelia, Wendy. The two of you are leaving. Go to the office," We look at one another, confused, but do as we were told. Sherry is standing by the exit, looking like she's been crying.

"Sis? What's going on?" Chelia asks. Sherry grabs us and drags us out towards her car. Once we are in and seated, Sherry turns and looks at us, crying.

"Wendy, I'm so sorry. The doctors did some tests on your mom."

"She has pancreatic cancer,"