Part Three

The next day, Sherry insists that I lay out of school for at least today. I don't really argue with her, I hardly got any sleep last night anyway. She tells Chelia that she has to go until eleven so that it won't count against her, but after that, she can come home and be with me. Chelia offers to come home earlier than she's supposed to, but I tell her not to. I want to spend the day making something for my mom, and it'd be best for me to do it alone.

I get up at the same time I usually would, even though I'm not going anywhere. Once Sherry leaves and Chelia catches the bus, I head back upstairs to Chelia's room. I lift her window and climb to the roof, gazing at the barely lit sky.

"You will be okay, Mom. I know it," I close my eyes click my pen. Waiting for ideas to come to me. Mom loves poetry and the sky, so wanted to fill a notebook with sky-inspired poems for her. I've filled a notebook in a day before, so hopefully I can do it again.

***
Chelia's POV
***
I don't know why Sherry didn't let me stay with Wendy. I hope she's okay all alone until I can come home. I sigh and open the doors to my school, walking through the halls as quick as I can.

"Chelia!" I hear Romeo's voice calling to me from behind me. He jogs up to me and smiles. "Where's Wendy?" He asks. I roll my eyes.

"I don't mean to be rude, but Wendy is going through a lot and doesn't need you chasing after her. She cares about you but you're just her friend, Romeo," his eyes dull, but he grins.

"I understand. The last thing I want to do is stress her out," he says. "What's wrong with her," I continue walking to my locker but urge him to follow me.

"It's not my business to go into detail. But her mom is sick, and Wendy is staying with me for now. My sister felt that Wendy could use a break from worrying about school," I open my locker and grab a piece of gum. "That's why she's not here," Romeo nods and looks past me.

"You might wanna hurry and get to your class. Professor Mest is staring at you," he warns. "Tell Wendy to take it easy, okay?" Romeo smiles and runs off. I grab my stuff and don't bother looking towards Mest, I just go to my damned class.

I can't seem to focus on anything at all, Wendy is all that's on my mind. She's so strong to be handing all this the way she is. Why the universe can't give her a break is beyond me. Wendy doesn't have a mean bone in her body. No one deserves to smile more than she does. I truly don't know what I'd do without her.

"Chelia! Are you listening at all?" Ms. Scarlet snaps her fingers at me and I jump, making everyone look at me.

"Y-yes ma'am," I mumble. She squints her eyes at me and turns back to the board.

"You'd think that with Wendy not being here you'd pay a little more attention than usual," she mutters. I grit my teeth and look down at my desk, waiting and waiting until time to go back home.

***
Wendy's POV
***

I'd just finished my last entry into my mom's gift when I see Chelia walking down the road. My heart skips a beat, I'm really happy she's home. I climb back in her window and rush downstairs to meet her. As soon as I open the door she pulls me into her arms, hugging me.

"Are you okay? You didn't answer my texts," she whispers. I nod and hug her back.

"I was on the roof writing stuff for my mom," I tell her. "I hope to go visit her today," Chelia smiles and twirls her way into the kitchen.

"What do you say to birthday cake fudge?" She grabs the bag of sprinkles and smiles widely. Without question I lighten up and rush over to her, grabbing wooden spoon.

Chelia is mixing the chocolate and sprinkles while I prep the tin.

"Wendy, look!" I turn to her and she splats the spoon on my nose, getting the mixture on my nose and cheeks.

"Chelia!" I complain in a fit of giggles. She smiles and runs her thumb across both my cheeks, scrapping off the chocolate. She licks it off her thumb and smiles.

"Still just as yummy!" I glare at her, but even I know my eyes show I'm not the least bit upset. I wipe the mess off my nose and rub it on her arm when she's turned away. The funny thing is, she didn't notice.

After about an hour, our fudge is done and we're cuddled up on the couch watching old movies. Chelia is braiding a piece of my hair when Sherry comes home.

"You girls get ready. We need to go see Wendy's mom." Chelia and I sit up.

"Now,"