Chapter 86

When we walk to our table Rey grabs my wrist and turns me to face him.

"What the hell was that?" He spits. Is he joking? I look down at my wrist in his hands and take that as a no. His grip isn't tight but it holds me in place.

"What?"

"That guy." He huffs.

"What about him? I just met him after a long while, he's just a family friend." I pull my wrist away.

"It didn't seem like he's just a family friend, the two of you were just flirting in front of me."

"What?" I can't help but laugh.

"You're insane if you think that was flirting, I was being polite and so was he. Why would I flirt with him?" I try to keep my voice down. Causing a scene in the wedding will not be good for me.

"Why wouldn't you? He was nice and clean cut, suit and all." Rey says.

He seems more hurt and worried than angry. My instincts tell me to cuss him out, but I decide to take a different approach. Just like when he was breaking things at his father's house.

"Is that what you think? That I want someone like him, someone unlike you?" I ask in a gentle voice. He is taken aback, I know he expected me to blow up at him. He contemplates what to say next.

"I don't know.. maybe." His eyes meet mine.

"Well you're wrong, as usual." I smile. I need to talk to him about this later, but my need to make sure he knows he has nothing to worry about overpowers my need to correct him.

"I am sorry if you think I was flirting with him, I wasn't. I wouldn't do that to you." I assure him. His eyes soften and I bring my hand up to his cheek. How can one person be so strong yet so weak.

"I..okay." He says. I laugh and caress his cheek. I love catching him off guard.

"Why would I flirt with him if I have you?" I say. His eyes flutter and he finally smiles. I am relieved that I am learning how to disengage the bomb that is Rey.

"I love you. I am sorry for blowing up like that." He says

"I accept your apology now let me show you my office!" I say in a cheery voice.

"I don't deserve you." He says quietly, too quietly. I choose to ignore it and keep my uplifting attitude.

"Where is Swayum?" I ask Rey when we take our seats.

"I don't know." He answers and takes a bite on his food.

"You said he was looking for me?"

" He was but I don't know where he is now."

"Rey, you shouldn't talk with your mouth full." His grandmother appears behind him.

I notice him take a deep breath before he turns to her.

"Sorry." He mumbles.

"I wanted to see you before I go, god knows when I will see you again. Can you save a dance for your dadi?" She asks and he shakes his head.

"Why not?" She asks him with a smile.

There is a tension between them that I can't quite put my finger on.

"I am on my way to get Kriya a drink." He lies and leaves the table.

"Well, he's something isn't he?" She laughs uncomfortably.

I am not sure what to say, my first instinct is to defend him but it seems she is joking.

"Is he still drinking?" She turns to me.