Ever After - Chapter 1

Ever After: Chapter One

By: Shelbyecanwrite

It was a beautiful summer's day when Marinette's world started falling apart. It was sunny, not a cloud in the sky, and she awoke to the lovely sound of birds singing a pretty tune outside her bedroom window. She had pulled her hair into twin tails with her favorite red ribbons and had plans to go for a walk with her best friend Rose through the village later that day. It had all the promises of being a wonderful day in Frell.

But then Tikki came to tell her that her father needed to have a word with her and suddenly what she was going to have for breakfast was the least of her problems.

"You're married?" Marinette's voice went shrill with shock as she jumped from her seat in their living room.

Sir Tom held out his hands pleadingly to his only daughter from where he was perched in his own seat opposite of her, "She has money, Marinette, and she's very fond of my title."

Marinette wanted to scoff at the load of tripe that her father was telling her. She wasn't sure what she was more upsetting, the fact that he was married now without telling her or the reason for which he had gone about tying the knot.

"It was either get married or sell the house." He held out a hand to Marinette, his green eyes bright as he tried to make her see the bright side to this sudden development in their lives. "You'll love Dame Mendeleiev and her daughters. She'll make a wonderful mother."

At his daughter's gaping expression, he cleared his throat, quickly rethinking what he had said. "Well, a motherlike figure."

	Sir Tom rose from his seat, towering over his petite child both in height and in width

Sir Tom rose from his seat, towering over his petite child both in height and in width. Anyone who didn't know him would say he was intimidating with hands like dinner plates and shoulders that were the width of three Marinettes put together. But as he turned her head with a finger under her chin, Marinette couldn't help but think of how her larger-than-life father seemed more like a teddy bear than anything else. His sideburns and bushy mustache wiggled when he smiled down at her with the kindest of gazes. "Look, I'm sure you'll all be the best of friends."

Marinette smiled in spite of herself, hugging her father's wide shoulders as she tried to keep positive. "Okay Papa."

###

Hours later, a bright yellow taxi carriage pulled up outside of Sir Dupain's home. A lanky purple haired woman in an extravagant black dress and jewelry spilled out onto the lawn with her. Scrutinizing eyes raking over the cottage she craned her head back towards the footman at the door. "There must be some mistake! You must have gotten the address wrong, because this is not castle!"

 "There must be some mistake! You must have gotten the address wrong, because this is not castle!"