Ever After - Chapter 16

"Tell me about your sister."

Chloe blinked in surprise at the sudden forwardness of his question. They had been dancing for quite some time and this was the first that Prince Adrien had spoken to her, let alone look her way the entire time they had been embraced. Though why she would ask about her silly sister was beyond her.

"Sabrina?" Chloe scoffed, rolling her eyes at the notion that such a fine specimen would ever consider giving her sister a second thought. "She's an idiot."

Adrien shook his head, evidently not amused by her comment about Sabrina. "No, Marinette."

This made Chloe sour even more, her lip curling into a discontented snarl at the mention of her step-sister. "Oh. I don't wanna talk about her. She's so dreary." The young girl leaned in close to Adrien with that same faraway fantasy smile that she had when Adrien first encountered her back in Frell. "I just want to talk about us."

Adrien went three sheds of crimson, startled by how close Chloe had gotten to him so suddenly. "Us?" He stuttered as he tried to lean away from her. She clutched his hand in a death grip to the point it shook. "It sounds even more wonderful when you say it!"

The doors shook with a sudden cry, the great hall creaking before a girl in a sparkling red dress with familiar midnight blue hair came stumbling into the party, fashionably late and suddenly the center of attention. Adrien couldn't push Chloe away fast enough.

"Ow!" She moaned in a baby-like cry as Adrien fought to cross the dance floor to where Marinette, his Marinette, was desperately trying to stay as far away from him as possible by clinging to one of the great hall doors. On the opposing side, King Gabriel had somehow managed to contort his typical placid expression into some sort of mildly amused look. Natalie hovered at his side like always as he managed a breathy chuckle in her direction, eyes never leaving the scene unfolding before him. "Something tells me she just couldn't stay away."

Adrien gripped one of Marinette's wrists, prying her away from the door and sending her sprawling into his arms. She was beautiful, no, absolutely stunning in a lovely embroidered red gown and glistening jewelry that made her glow unlike any other girl at the ball. It didn't help that her hair framed her face in just a way that he couldn't help but look her in the eyes, right in her beautiful bluebell eyes that sparkled under the warm lights. The same eyes that he dreamed of. The same eyes of the girl who both stole then broke his heart.

"We need to talk," Adrien pressed in a stern voice, leaning close enough to see that she was wearing make up, just enough to highlight her features without caking it on like a lot of the women prancing around the floor behind them. Marinette gripped his upper arm in a panic, her eyes glowing in an unexpected spark of fear. "Adrien, please... Please tell me you never want to see me again."

The question was appalling in itself, but the fact that she even assumed he could manage to tell her such a thing added insult to injury. He pursed his lips together, his brow pressed together in firm determination before giving her the ultimatum. "I will if you tell me that you don't love me."

Marinette's lips parted, forming a perfect O in her shock before she shook her head, wincing as if she were in physical pain. "It's not that."

Adrien seemed to wilt in defeat, recalling the way her letter had almost brought him to his knees. "Then why did you write me that letter?"

When no answer came, Adrien gave her forearms a gentle squeeze, almost begging her. "Tell me how you really feel about me."

He hadn't meant to sound so commanding, but he was desperate to know if anything that letter meant was true. Luckily for him, Marinette almost couldn't get the words fast enough as it spilled out of her mouth. "I love you."